Lemony, Tangy and Sweet Citrus Yogurt Cake!
Citrus Yogurt Cake gives you a hit of citrus flavor,a kick of tang, it’s yummy and so easy to make. It’s one of the most simplest cake to bake yet gives a chiffon texture, tastes yum, spongy and soft cake. I had bought lot of lemons hence thought of making something from them. What could a baker like me would think from lemons hence this cake.
To enhance the flavor of the cake have added orange peels, lemon zest, lemon juice, yogurt, dash of rum and vinegar. When you eat the cake it has burst of flavors and gives you a zesty kick. Infact for 30 secs you can’t make out if you eating some fruit cake Or lemon cake.
I have baked on 160°C as I wanted the cake color to be intact. Hence baked for 1 hr 20 mins. Further have added lemon juice with whipped cream. Topped the cake with some lemon zest and chopped cherries. Frosting is optional as the cake by itself is yum. Just sprinkle some caster sugar over the cake , slice and eat.
You could replace with orange instead of lemon. I am intending to make different kind of lemon cake as I just love lemon in dessert. Lemon Souffle, lemon icecream, lemon chocolate tart, lemon juice just love lemons. Would think more what to make with lemons.
This Christmas add some tang and color to you life by making this cake….
Citrus Yogurt Cake recipe and printable version below:
- 225 gms flour
- 80 gms butter
- 150 gms powdered sugar Or caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ½ t/s salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 t/s lemon zest
- 1 tbsp vanilla Or rose essence
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp rum
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- ½ cup chopped orange peels
- Preheat oven at 180°C exactly twenty mins before baking. Grease a round pan and dust some flour. You could also place a parchment paper at the bottom.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and cornflour. Keep it aside
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add yogurt and beat nicely.
- Make a small well in the sifted flour add beaten butter-sugar mixture and add both eggs.
- Fold the mixture gently. Once they combine well add the lime zest and essence. Fold gently again.
- In a small bowl mix vinegar, lemon juice and rum. Mix gently in the batter.
- Pour the batter over the greased pan. Tap the pan gently. Mix chopped orange peels with ½ t/s flour. Gently place the peels on the top of the cake.
- Bake at 160°C for approximately 1 hr 20 mins Or until the skewer comes out clean. If the cake isn't baked please bake for some more time. It has to leave the edges of the pan.
- This cake has a different texture so allow the cake to cool down completely. Place in the fridge for 40 mins then run the knife over the edges and gently invert the cake.
- If you are in a hurry then simmer the cake tin half way in ice cold water. After 20 mins invert the cake should unmould. This cake gets better as it gets chilled.
- Slice and serve the cake warm Or cold. I have frosted cake with whipped cream that's optional.
Using rum and orange peel is optional.