Prawn Lonvas Recipe or Kolbi Lonvas hails from the East Indian Catholic Community of India. Prawn Lonvas is prepared mainly by the famous bottle masala of east indian’s and thick coconut milk. The curry is spicy, creamy and tastes great with pav, bread or rice. Usually lonvas is made with meat, chicken and fish. Fish like rawas and prawns are used to make lonvas curry.
East Indian’s are small catholic community mostly residing towards the coastal region of Mumbai. Their language, food, flavors, culture are quite similar to kolis in Mumbai. They have a rich traditional cuisine which has a blend of portuguese food, goan food and maharashtra food. Recipes like chinchoni, fugea, bottle masala, lonvas, aksal, atwan, potato chops and ambat are the east indian’s most popular recipes.
Prawns lonvas could be made with fresh prawns, shrimps or even with dried prawns. I have made them with dry shrimps. So if you don’t have fresh prawns replace with dried shrimps or prawns. Dried prawns are known as soda or sode and shrimps as kardi in Maharashtrian language.
This curry could be made quickly and with ingredients easily found in your kitchen. You require coconut milk which you could make home or readymade. I usually make coconut milk at home but this time used Daburs Coconut milk which also is equally good.
Prawns Lonvas Recipe below:
- 2 tbsp oil + tbsp oil for frying dry prawns if using
- 1 small onion chopped finely (optional)
- 16-18 curry leaves (optional)
- 250 gm fresh shrimp / dry shrimp cleaned, de-veined (I used dry shrimp)
- 250 ml thick coconut milk
- 1 inch ginger chopped finely
- 10-12 garlic chopped finely
- 1 tbsp bottle masala or as required
- 2 drumsticks chopped and immersed in water with little salt
- 1.5 tbsp tamarind pulp or paste
- ½ cup water or as required
- salt as required
- If using fresh shrimps or prawns then marinate with little salt and place aside for ten mins. If using dry shrimps then take a little oil and saute them for 2-3 mins on low heat.
- Take a vessel add oil once hot add onion. Fry until they are translucent. Add curry leaves saute for 30 secs.
- Now add chopped garlic and ginger. Saute until the raw smell of ginger disappears.
- Time to add the bottle masala. Add little water and saute for 2-3 mins.
- Add drumsticks, fried dry shrimps, salt and little water.
- Cover and cook for 7-8 mins or until drumsticks are cooked and tender.
- Add the thick coconut milk and cook on low heat for 2 mins. Don't cook on high heat else the coconut milk might curdle.
- Lastly mix the tamarind pulp and cook until it gives bubbles. Check the taste and alter spices if required. Switch off the gas immediately.
- Serve Prawn Lonvas hot with rice or bread.
2. If you don't have bottle masala don't worry add garam masala powder, red chili powder, turmeric, pepper powder and coriander seed powder.
3. Once you add coconut milk just simmer on low heat for 2-3 mins else it would curdle.
4. Tamarind paste has to be added towards the end otherwise the coconut milk might curdle.
5. Adding onion and curry leaves are optional.
5. if you don't have tamarind then add kokam instead.