My second inning son Gnocchi this time it’s Baked Cheese Stuffed Gnocchi, first time it was Vegan Mushroom Stuffed Gnochhi 🙂 Quite happy with them looking forward to make some more gnocchis. The common factor in both gnocchis were that they are eggless. My hubby liked both kind of gnocchi he loves the fried version of gnocchi being an Indian it’s quite obvious. Cheese Stuffed Gnocchi is gooey the cheese melts from the gnocchi and tempts you even more to eat.
Gnocchi can be difficult to make for the first attempt however the more you make them you will master the art of making them. I am working on my photography skills trying to learn what is aperture? what is ISO? what is focal depth and the lighting required. Looks like I have to do a lot of homework to hone this skill. But I know hard work and perseverance pays off.
Thank God it’s started raining finally! a big relief to all birds and animals also humans. Because you could stay without electricity and food one day but not without water. It comes first on our priority list right.
Even after one and half year of blogging there is so much to learn, explore and experiment. There are a lot of new bloggers on the front now who are giving tough competition. Blogging will soon become a next career option for many people. That means more smart work to do to.
For Gnocchi Dough follow the below steps and for pictorial detail click here Gnocchi Dough.
Cheese stuffed gnocchi recipe and printable version below:
- Gnocchi Dough
- 4 medium sized potatoes
- 1.5 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp flax seed + 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- For Boiling Gnochhi
- 1 big wok Or vessel filled with water
- 2 drops of olive oil
- 2 tbsp salt
- Cheese Stuffing
- 100-150 gms cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- some dried herbs
- Roast flaxseed for a minute Or two. Cover with a lid else they will start popping up. Grind them into a processor until smooth powder is formed. Combine the flax powder with 3 tbsp water and keep aside. In the meanwhile let’s make our Gnocchi dough.
- Most crucial for gnocchi are how the potatoes are boiled? Potatoes should contain less moisture for yielding a better gnocchi dough. It’s not difficult to boil potatoes. You could pierce the potatoes with the fork, cover them with foil and steam Or microwave in oven. Alternatively you could steam them in pressure cooker. In either way ensure the potatoes are cooked to perfection not overcooked Or undercooked. I cooked mine in pressure cooker in 3 whistles. Once they are manageable to touch peeled off their skin and grated them.
- It’s important you either grate them else the potatoes tend to get sticky and gummy. Once you grate all potatoes add a cup of flour to it. Also add the flax+water paste. Use a spatula to combine all. Once you aren’t able to move spatula use your finger.
- Knead into a nice, soft dough. If it’s too sticky add a little flour more. If your dough is smooth and soft there is no need to add more flour. As lesser the flour the lighter is your gnocchis. Lastly add 1 tbsp olive oil which helps in binding the dough. Cover with a cling film and set aside to chill in the fridge for 30 to 40 mins.
- Take the chilled dough divide into small portions. Make 4 inch size thick balls. Dust some flour on your working surface ares. Shape these balls into a log shape with the help of your palm. The log should be ½ inch thick and not too thick.
- Grate cheddar cheese. Mix black pepper powder and dried herbs with cheese. Keep them aside. Keep a fork handy. Spread each ball over the fork. Place little cheese mixture over it.
- Now gently wrap from one edge to other edge forming a cylindrical shape. Alternatively you could roll from one edge to other. Place the fork on each side creating a design Or impression of the fork. I have taken help of a clean comb and fork to get those shape. This shape is given so that the gnocchi holds the sauce properly.
- Now with the help of knife chop them into small cubes. The cubes shouldn't be thick Or too big it has to be small about ½ inch or smaller.
- Boil water in a big pot Or vessel. Add salt and olive oil. Once water starts bubbling place these filled dumplings gently one by one. It should take about 3 to 4 mins.
- You will start noticing the dumplings starts floating on the top. Wait for a minute more. Gently remove them with the help of slotted spoon. Place them on a cotton cloth Or knapkin to absorb water.
- Preheat oven at 200 °C for twenty mins before baking. Place the stuffed cheese gnocchis on a greased pan. Spread some grated cheese over the top of the gnocchis. Bake at 180 °C for 15 to 17 mins Or until golden brown.
- Make any sauce of your own choice like pesto, marinara sauce. I made white sauce and served hot with baked cheese gnocchis. If you wish you could also shallow fry them.
2. Also don’t add salt while kneading the dough. Add salt in the boiling water as salt in the dough would make your gnocchi sticky and mushy.
3. Ensure potatoes are not overcooked else it will be gummy and you will have to add more flour.
4. When you chill the dough for some time then the gnocchi dough becomes manageable. so you could make them in the morning wrap them with cling film. Make use of it in the evening or night.
5. Please do not refrigerate the dough for more than 12 to 16 hours else it will turn black and get spoiled.