Dark, moist and spongy Chocolate Walnut Cake Recipe! It’s valentines day and what a person like me can think except chocolates. Hence made this yum Chocolate Walnut Cake 🙂 on this occasion. My mom relished this dessert and hubby too relished it and demanded for more cake. The dessert is almost over (:
People think of making lot of red, pink recipes. But I think dark brown because of chocolate. My love for chocolate is growing day by day. I am sure your’s too 😉
This recipe consist cinnamon powder, coffee powder, dry ginger powder and cocoa powder. All the spices along with cocoa makes the cake rich, flavorful and strong cake. This dish has some bold flavors. Also the cake is soft and spongy. Further have added some whisky to make it boozy.
The only challenge for the cake is to allow to cool down. Once the cake cools down then only unmould the cake, else it might break. I waited for 3 hrs for the cake to cool down chilled for some time then gently inverted the pan. You could use a detachable pan which would be better to invert the cake.
You could check some of my best cake recipes like chocolate ginger bread, eggless chocolate truffle cake, molten chocolate lava cake, vegan red wine chocolate cake and basic chocolate chiffon cake. I love all these cakes and could just gobble them anytime of the day.
Chocolate Walnut Cake recipe and printable version below:
- 225 gm flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 t/s salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 200 gms butter / vegetable fat
- 1.5 tbsp whisky (optional)
- 150 gms brown sugar
- 3 tbsp heaped cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp dry ginger powder
- 1 tbsp strong coffee powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 100 gm dark chocolate melted
- 100 ml chilled fresh cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- few walnut for decoration
- some chocolate shaving and curls
- Preheat oven at 170°C exactly fifteen mins before baking. Place a parchment paper over a greased round pan.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, corn flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, coffee powder and dry ginger powder.
- Cream butter / fat with brown sugar until soft and fluffy.
- Make a small well in the the sifted flour and dry ingredients.
- Add the butter-sugar mixture, eggs, whisky if using and also add milk. Fold in the batter gently and don't over mix the batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the greased pan. Bake at 170°C for 50 mins or until skewer comes out clean.
- It's important to allow the cake to cool down. Refrigerate for 2-3 hrs and then gently invert the cake.
- Meanwhile let's make our icing. Double boil the chocolate and mix with chilled cream. Also add butter mix all nicely.
- Once the cake is chilled spread the icing around the cake and it's periphery with a spatula. Make swirls or run the fork straight all over the cake creating a pattern. Decorate with walnut halves and some chocolate curls, shavings etc.
- Slice and serve chocolate walnut cake warm or chilled. The icing gets thicker once chilled.
2. Allow the cake to cool down completely before inverting.
Seems delicious. Can I have a piece?
Thanks Punam for the rating 🙂 the cake is finished eating long back but you can try making home.
Memory kapakyulu says
Good recipe. Try this cakes for giving valentine gifts to your partner with bunch of flowers or wishes.
Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen says
This cake looks delicious!! I’m loving that chocolate icing! 🙂
Thankyou Christina 🙂