Chole Masala Recipe – A quick recipe of chole sauteed in onion – tomato paste, flavored with Indian seasoning and spices. If you have pre-cooked chole then the recipe takes lesser time to prepare. This dish goes well with steamed rice, jeera rice, naan, phulkas, dosas, pao and even toasted bread.
The consistency of this recipe is semi – dry but you could even keep as gravy or even make them dry. If you plan to have this chole recipe with rice then better to keep them semi dry.
In India many types of chole are popular like chole bhature, pindi chole, punjabi chole, peshawari chole and chana masala. My favorite is chole bhature and chole masala what about you? You pick your favorite! don’t wait cook them today.
Sometimes I even stuff the leftover chole as a filling in sandwich and parathas. Just add some cheese to the choles as your stuffing in your sandwiches and your breakfast is done. In fact, you could also make chole samosas 🙂 just too much thinking on choles or right now I am on a spree with choles.
Learn how to make chole masala recipe step by step:
- A very important step is to soak chole in water overnight.
2. Add five cup of water, salt and pressure cook the chickpeas until they appear tender. Eat one and see if they are cooked, if not cooked then pressure cook for more time.
3. Firstly keep all the ingredients chopped and ready for the recipe.
4. Grind all the ingredients into a paste, if the paste is a bit coarse that is also fine.
5. However don’t add water while grinding add only 1 tbsp water if required while grinding.
6. Saute cumin seed in hot oil.
7. Once they crackle add the bay leaves.
8. Now saute the onion.
9. Put asafoetida powder.
10. Once the color of the onion changes to pale brown in color as you see in the pic below.
11. It’s time to add the ground paste.
12. Mix all nicely.
13. Add half of chopped coriander leaves.
14. Put all the spice powders now but don’t add the chole masala powder we will add it towards the end.
15. Stir and mix well.
16. Add few drops of water if the mixture dries.
17. Keep stirring until oil starts leaving towards the edges.
18. Put the boiled chole and mix well.
19. Add 1 cup of water and stir nicely.
20. Put salt and mix again.
21. Cover and simmer for 5 min.
22. Remove the lid and cook for more 3-4 mins. The gravy would start thickening by now.
23. Once they start bubbling add the chole garam masala powder.
24. Stir nicely then add rest of chopped coriander leaves.
Switch off the gas and serve chole masala with jeera rice, bhatura, roti, naan or toasted bread.
If you are looking for more such recipes then do check chole bhature, chole curry, pindi chole, chole recipe, chana chat, aloo paratha, lauki paratha, cabbage paratha, salted chaas, masala chaas, aamras puri and punjabi pav bhaji recipe.
Chole Masala Recipe card below:
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ¼th cup chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 green chilies chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 200 gm chickpeas / chole (soaked in water overnight and pressure cooked until they become tender)
- 1 tbsp oil or ghee (i have used oil)
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼th cup onion julienne
- ¼th cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbspred chili powder
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp chole masala powder
- 1 cup water or as required
- salt as per taste
- Very important step is to soak chole in water overnight.
- Add five cup of water, salt and pressure cook the chickpeas until they appear tender. Eat one and see if they are cooked if not cooked then pressure cook for more time.
- Firstly keep all the ingredients chopped and ready for the recipe.
- Grind all the ingredients into a paste, if the paste is a bit coarse that is also fine. However don't add water or add 1 tbsp water while grinding.
- Saute cumin seed in hot oil.
- Once they crackle add the bay leaves.
- Now saute the onion.
- Put asafoetida powder.
- Once the color of the onion changes to pale brown in color as you see in the pic below.
- It's time to add the ground paste.
- Mix all nicely.
- Add half of chopped coriander leaves.
- Put all the spice powders now but don't add the chole masala powder we will add it towards the end.
- Stir and mix well.
- Add few drops of water if the mixture dries.
- Keep stirring until oil starts leaving towards the edges.
- Put the boiled chole and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water and stir nicely.
- Put salt and mix again.
- Cover and simmer for 5 min.
- Remove the lid and cook for another 3-4 mins
- The gravy would start thickening by now.
- Once they start bubbling add the chole garam masala powder.
- Stir nicely then add rest of chopped coriander leaves.
- Switch off the gas and serve chole masala with jeera rice, bhatura, roti, naan or toasted bread.
2. It's important the choles are tender and cooked properly.
3. They should melt in your mouth otherwise they are not perfect chole for any chole recipe.
4. Alter the spices and seasoning as per your taste and preference.
5. Adding garam masala towards the end gives a good taste and flavor to your food.
Hi! very excited to try this recipe but i was wondering where do i get chole masala powder? is it the one sold at indian store ? i have chana masala by shan…would that work?
Surely try Saadiyah this chole masala recipe. you can use any good brand even shaan is fine.
Hey your chole is looking yummy.bt what i lyked the most is your fry pan…is it a stainless steel one…can we set it online…thanks….
Deepak let me check this and will update you soon on the same 🙂 and thankyou so much.
Hey the colour of your chole is really nice…and what i liked most is your fry pan…is it made up of stainless steel…which brand of fry pan is this…and can we buy this online…btw i love all your cookwares…especially the one in which you have prepared the pomfret curry….thanks
very pleased to know this deepak 🙂 this is a gift from my sister will have to check the same with her. thankyou for your kind and positive words.
Welcome and awaiting for your reply…thanks….
Sure Deepak would update you soon on this.
This recipe looks so flavorful that I am sure we can eliminate the ginger garlic portion that I cannot eat and make it to taste delish! For the rest of the family, I shall add sliced ginger on top. Thanks you so much, Maria.
Yes Neeta you could do that, surely try and let us know how it was? thankyou so much.