Curry leaves benefits are tremendous we are blessed to have this miracle tree around us. Curry Leaves one of my favorite herb also known as curry patta in India. Curry Leaves is consumed a lot in South Indian Cuisine, Sri Lankan Cuisine and some of Goan Cuisine and Maharashtrian Cuisine. Curry leaves grow in abundance in India. I have been familiar to Curry Leaves since my childhood. Have also seen my mom growing Curry Leaf plants inside our balcony. Even I have a Curry Leaf plant at my house now. I just love the flavors of curry leaves when it’s used for tempering in chutney, curries and vegetables.
Curry Leaves Taste: Curry Leaves gives a strong, bitter and earthy taste to your dish. The curry leaves flavor is highly addictive and tempting at the same time Curry Leaves are strongly aromatic. By the way curry patta is curry meaning curries and patta are leaves hence the name Curry Leaves as it’s used for curries, gravies etc. Also lemme tell you curry powder is different than curry leaf powder. So don’t get confused between curry powder and curry leaf powder they are 2 different powder. Curry powder is a blend of spices whereas curry leaf powder is made only from dried curry leaves. Click here for the recipe of Homemade Curry Leaves Powder.
How to buy Curry Leaves? Buy Curry Leaves which looks fresh, green and aromatic. Best is to buy from your trusted vegetable vendor. I avoid buying green leafy veggies from malls as they appear to be very clumsy and don’t look fresh. The other best choice is to grow Curry Leaves plants in your backyard, terrace Or balcony. Don’t worry they don’t occupy much place . It doesn’t require any special manure just add some yogurt mixed with little water minus salt. This yogurt+water boosts the growth of Curry Leaves. Do this once in 15 days.
How can be Curry Leaves included in our daily diet?
- Chew 4 to 5 Curry Leaves daily morning on empty stomach.
- Make curry leaf powder at home. Add the Curry Leaves powder in lentils, chutneys, dosas, vegetables, pulao etc.
- Use Curry Leaves while tempering lentils, chutney and vegetables.
- Make a conscious effort to use them in your food. That’s the only way you could use curry leaves daily.
- Remove the leaves and tender stems of Curry Leaves. If they are moist wipe them with a cloth. Store them into an airtight container and place into the fridge. This will increase the life shell of Curry Leaves at home. Alternatively you could make Curry Leaves powder at home. This will last you for 2 months click here for the recipe.
What are the health benefits of Curry Leaves?
- Keeps Diabetes at Bay : Chewing 4 to 5 Curry Leaves daily morning on empty stomach keeps Diabetes at Bay Or curbs existing Diabetes. Also helps in curbing immature greying.
- Curbs Greying Hair: Boil some curry leaves in coconut oil until they turn black. Strain the oil and massage on your scalp. This will condition your hair and prevents greying.
- Skin Care and Body Care: Curry Leaves helps in keeping skin problems at bay and is great for body. It helps in controlling weight.
- Eye Care: Curry Leaves are good source of vitamin A hence it’s great for eye vision and eye care. It fights various eye disorders like cataract.
Hope this Curry Leaves information will help you and you will include them in your diet. Do share your inputs on Curry Leaves 🙂