Healthy Vegan Fenugreek Leaves Pulao is great to have in winter Or in any season for that matter. Fenugreek is also known as Methi in India. Had a bunch of fenugreek leaves and I didn’t wanted to make the regular vegetable. Hence came up with my own version of Fenugreek Pulao infused in Indian spices. Me and my hubby loved it.
Fenugreek leaves and seeds both have a bitter taste. Fenugreek has some great benefits. It’s enriched with vitamins and minerals. Great for people who have iron deficiency. Fenugreek is great for diabetes and indigestion problem. Also fenugreek seed when consumed early morning with warm water is known to cure joint pains. Now that you know the benefits do include them in your daily diet.
In India people make Gujarati Theplas, Methi Paratha, Methi Fritters etc. My hubby loved fenugreek and I love spinach more. Both are greens and great to eat them on a daily basis. I have started drinking fenugreek seeds water soaked whole night. Also now make a paste of fenugreek seed and apply to my hair with henna. Little bit care of one self is good right?
Coming back to Fenugreek Pulao it’s easy, simple, healthy and tastes yummy.
Enjoy Fenugreek Pulao!
The printable version below:
- 1.5 tbsp oil
- 3 cups of fenugreek leaves
- 1.5 cup of long grained rice
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp caraway seed
- 4 green chilies chopped finely
- 8 to 10 cashews
- 2 bayleaves
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom
- 4 cloves
- 7 to 8 black pepper
- 1 onion julienne
- 4 spring onion along with greens chopped finely
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 tbsp fennel powder (saunf powder)
- 1 t/s turmeric
- 1.5 tomato finely chopped
- 2 potatoes chopped into medium sized chunks
- 2.5 cups water
- salt as per taste
- The big task is to remove leaves from stem. It took me 30 mins to pluck fenugreek leaves from the stem. Place the leaves in a colander and wash under tap water. Allow the water to strain. Chop all veggies and keep them handy. Also wash the the rice and soak in water for 10 mins.
- Take a wide bottomed vessel. I have used a non stick vessel with a lid for this pulao. If you wish you could use cooker. Add oil to the pan once it’s nicely heated. Add all the ingredients from number 4 to 12. Give a nice stir. Once it starts leaving aroma.
- Add chopped onion and whites of spring onion. Stir nicely once the onion becomes lightly brown add ginger-garlic paste.
- When the raw smell of ginger-garlic disappears add chopped tomatoes. Saute for 2 to 3 mins more. Add all powdered spices like turmeric, garam masala powder, cumin powder, fennel powder. Combine all nicely.
- It’s time to add fenugreek leaves and potatoes. Cover with a lid and allow to cook for 3 to 4 mins on medium flame. Now remove the lid and stir all nicely. Lastly add soaked rice with 2.5 cups water. Add salt for seasoning. Stir nicely and cover with a lid. Cook on medium heat for 10 mins Or until rice is cooked.
- Roughly about 10 to 12 mins more your pulao should be cooked. Check if the rice is cooked if not cook for some more time on medium heat. If your keeping in pressure cooker wait for 3 whistles.
- Garnish with greens of spring onion and serve hot with papad Or salad. We ate our pulao with bittergourd chips.