Goan Nankhatai Recipe with step by step photos. Nankhatais are crumbly, soft, smooth baked eggless cookies. Nankhatais just melt in your mouth. These Goan nankhatai recipe is made mainly from refined flour (maida), clarified butter (ghee), powdered sugar, nuts and cardamom powder.
They are my favorite since childhood love to have them with tea. You easily get Nankhatais at any bakery or shop in India. These cookies are made mostly in households during christmas and diwali. I make them home whenever I feel like as they are easy to make and much easier to eat 😉
Nankhatais are made of many types but this is the Goan version of nankhatais. These don’t consist eggs hence the fat added is more in quantity. You could use cardamom powder if you have or use vanilla essence. Also adding nuts are optional either you could add them in chopped form or place them on the top of the cookies and bake.
If you don’t have clarified butter then use butter or white butter. However traditionally clarified butter is used for this recipe. Again it’s a basic flour pastry used for cookies but without eggs and additional of nuts.
Goan Nankhatais are easy to make and could be made in advance and stored in the fridge. Once you make cakes or cookies allow them to cool then place them into an air tight container and chill them. This would increase their life shelf.
If you love sweets then do check more goan christmas sweets recipe.
Goan Nankhatai Recipe card below:
- 300 gms flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 125 gm powdered sugar or as preferred
- 150 ml clarified butter (ghee)
- few chopped nuts to garnish on the cookiesoptional
- Preheat the oven at 180º exactly fifteen mins before baking.
- Sift flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream clarified butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the flour in batches.
- Also add the cardamom powder.
- Now knead into a smooth and soft dough.
- Wrap the dough with a cling film or butter paper.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 mins.
- Now make lemon sized balls. Flatten them gently.
- Top with chopped almonds, pistachios or cashews.
- Place them on a greased pan giving space between them to rise.
- Bake at 180 º C for first 7 mins then reduce to 160 º C for next 8-9 mins or until the cookies are baked or light brown from top.
- Please don't over bake Or under bake these cookies. Allow them to cool.
- Once at room temperature store them into an airtight container.
- Serve the goan nankhatais warm or chilled with a hot cup of tea.
2. I have added sugar as per my preference. You could add more if you wish.
3. Instead of pistachio add any nut of your choice.
4. You could chill the dough into freezer. Thaw for 30 mins then ready to use.
5. Please don't over bake the cookies as they would harden post cooling. Once you get the aroma and the cookies are light brown from top they are done.