Goan Shark Fry – one of our favorite fish! My mouth is salivating writing about Goan Shark Fry recipe. Now shark is referred to as Mori, Mooshi in India. Just love them since childhood thanks to my mom who gave us lovely, tasty food since our birth. Thank so much Mom to have you in our lives. This is an easy dish and can be made anytime you have unexpected guests.
How do you select shark Or baby shark from fish market ?? You should look out for medium sized shark nor too big nor too small. Because medium sized shark tastes better and is less rubbery. They should look fresh and feel fresh when you touch them. Now the next crucial part is to slice them. Unlike other fish shark skin is too thick so it’s better you get them removed from the fish vendor. In Pune they charge you ten rupees to slice the fish. Better for me as I have less headache to clean them back home.
Thanks to one of my friends took me to this wholesale fish market. Otherwise other markets tend to sell fish at over-hyped prices. If you in Pune then do visit fish market just 3 kms from Camp-Pune falls between Ganesh Peth and Bhawani Peth area. You will get fresh fish and also the best deal for your fish here.
Coming back to my Goan shark fry recipe. It’s easy, simple and quite tasty. The fish is succulent and crispy from top. I bet you have one piece of it and you will just keep eating them. This fish has no bones just a mid rib and tastes almost like chicken fry. It’s like you eating a boneless fish !
Coming from a coastal area natural liking towards fish. Try Goan fried prawns, fish fry in green masala and Pomfret Recheado they are just yummm. Finding difficult to even write about them as have just aloo paratha for lunch today (:
Notes for Goan Shark Fry:
- If the paste gets over Or you find it too less for your shark. Then do increase the quantity of the spices.
- We love our shark fish spicy and hot. So do alter the spices as per your taste preference. Increase the quantity of turmeric and take less of chili powder.
- Ensure you fry them over medium heat else they might burn.
- They taste good with laadi pav Or fish curry and rice.
- You could also marinate this fish and keep them into the freezer overnight. Thaw them for an hour and then shallow fry the fish.
Goan Shark Fry recipe cart below:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium sized shark fish Or 4 to 5 baby shark (skin removed and chopped into small squares)
- 2 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 t/s red chili powder (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp white vinegar Or coconut vinegar
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- Firstly peel off the shark skin and chop them into small squares Or medium sized squares.
- Wash them under tap water.
- Combine turmeric powder, kashmiri red chili powder, red chili powder is using, salt and vinegar.
- Make a thick paste of it with your finger. If the paste is too dry add little more vinegar.
- Apply this paste liberally over all the shark pieces.
- Marinate for 20 mins. You could keep them in the freezer for some time.
- Now take oil in a frying pan. Once the oil is hot reduce the heat to medium.
- Spread rice flour on a dish. Toss the marinated shark pieces over the riceflour. Coat them nicely from all sides.
- Shallow fry these coated sharks until dark golden brown from both sides.
- Repeat the same with the rest of shark.
- Serve them hot with some dal, rice Or pav / pao.