Green chutney sandwich recipe with step by step instructions. This is a famous goan green chutney made from fresh grated coconut, coriander leaves, sugar and green chilies.
There are many variations to this recipe, have followed my mom’s recipe. Have been eating this green chutney since my childhood days. Green chutney sandwich recipe is very nostalgic. My mom used to pack them in our lunch boxes, we used to relish them in our breaks with our school mates 🙂
Best part is you could serve this chutney sandwich cold or warm. It tastes great even with toasted bread. sometimes we also add some sliced cucumber and tomatoes along the chutney. My hubby enjoys it with nachos and potato wafers too 😉 I like to eat them with pakoras and dosas too.
The taste of the green chutney is spicy and sweet both. Spice coming from green chilies and sweet taste coming from fresh grated coconut and sugar. Recipe for green chutney is easy and quick, you could make them is advance and refrigerate. Chutney stays good up-to 3-4 days in the fridge.
If you like chutney spicy then add more green chilies. But if you making for kids then just add 1 green chili. The consistency of this chutney is thick so it easily spreads on the bread slice. I apply some butter to the bread then apply green chutney. As this helps the sandwich not to become soggy but applying butter is optional. If you are gonna eat the sandwich soon then there is no need to apply butter. Just apply the green chutney and you are ready to eat.
Green chutney sandwich recipe card below:
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- ½ cup fresh coconut, grated or chopped finely
- 2-3 green chilies
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-3 tablespoon of water
- ½ teaspoon lime juice (optional)
- a pinch of salt
- Combine a cup of coriander leaves, ½ cup of fresh grated coconut, 2-3 green chilies, 1 teaspoon sugar, ½ teaspoon lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- Grind to a smooth paste, add 2-3 tablespoon of water but don't add too much water. As we need nor too thick neither too thin chutney.
- The chutney has to be of medium consistency.
- Take bread slices.
- Apply butter on the bread.
- Add a spoonful of green chutney on the bread.
- Spread the chutney all over the bread..
- Similarly apply chutney on all breads. Stack the bread in 2-3 layers each.
- Slice them into squares of triangular shape. Serve green chutney sandwich with tea, coffee or juice.
2. The consistency has to be of medium consistency. So don't add too much water while grinding.
3. The chutney should stay good for 3-4 days in the fridge.
Green chutney sandwich recipe step by step:
- Keep all the ingredients ready for the green chutney sandwich recipe.
2. Combine a cup of coriander leaves, 1/2 cup of fresh grated coconut, 2-3 green chilies, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of lime juiceif using and a pinch of salt.
3. Grind to a smooth paste, add 2-3 tablespoon of water but don’t add too much water. As we need nor too thick neither too thin chutney. The chutney has to be of medium consistency.
4. Take bread slices.
5. Apply butter on the bread. Applying butter is optional but this helps the bread not to get soggy. If you are having instantly then skip butter and spread chutney. But if you are planning to eat them after few hours the its better to apply butter and the green chutney.
6. Add a spoonful of green chutney on the bread.
7. Spread the chutney all over the bread.
8. Similarly apply chutney on all breads. Stack the bread in 2-3 layers each.
9. Slice them into squares of triangular shape. Serve green chutney sandwich with tea, coffee or juice.