What is Gujarati Thepla ? Gujarati Thepla is a flat Indian Bread made of whole wheat + Gram flour + some Indian spices + fenugreek leaves. Theplas reign from Gujarat and is their staple diet. Theplas are healthy and are great to carry in lunch boxes, while trekking, travelling Or eat at home.
Tried for the first time Thepla trust me they are soft, healthy, tasty and goes well with veggies Or gravies. I just applied some butter to my Gujarati Thepla and had with hot cup of Cardamom tea 🙂 They are just yummy and I can go on and on with them. My hubby also loves Theplas he took some today in lunch box too.
Theplas can be clubbed with yogurt, raita, pickles, vegetables, chutney and curries. We had yesterday vegetable pilaf, theplas, okra vegetable and some papad fries. Today I made Bottlegourd fritters, Tomato Chutney, Green Chana Curry and some hot Bhakris. My mouth is watering can’t resist to have dinner today I am sure yours too watering 😉
Unfortunately I didn’t get time to click snaps for Tomato Chutney. I will surely click pics the next time I make. Honestly I am only cooking and cooking from past few days post a tragic incident which took place in my life. But I have recovered from it thanks to my family, friends and hubby for helping me to come out of it.
Anyways as of now surely make these hot theplas !
Methi Thepla Recipe below:
- 2 cups wheat flour
- ½ cup besan (gram flour)
- 3 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) + 5 tbsp more for frying them
- 2 cups fresh fenugreek leaves
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 t/s turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tbsp coriander seed powder
- 100 ml yogurt mixed with ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp cumin seed powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seed powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (optional
- 1 tbsp black salt
- 1 t/s asofoetida (hing)
- First pluck fenugreek leaves and discard their stems. Wash and keep them aside.
- Sift dry ingredients that is wheat flour, gram flour and all spices except clarified butter, yogurt and water.
- Mix yogurt with water. Give a nice whisk to it. Now add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Also add the methi leaves.
- Start kneading the mixture. Use all your stamina to knead the dough. Press towards back to fro with your knuckles and palm. Now add 3 tbsp clarified butter to the dough and knead until smooth and soft. Use more flour if the dough is sticky. If the dough is too dry add little more clarified butter to it.
- Now leave the dough to rest for 10 mins. Make small balls about 2 inches. Roll them into round Or oval shapes.
- Take a pan place on high fire. Ensure the pan is hot then reduce the fire. Now place the flat bread on the got griddle Or pan. Once the roti (bread) has small brown dots. Place the other side of the bread. Smear ghee on them and fry them until they cook nicely. Ensure the bread is brown and cooked from both sides.
- You could use a spatula to fry them. Serve hot with yogurt, pickles etc.
2. Fennel seed powder gives a nice taste but you could skip it.