Mutton Curry Indian style recipe with step by step photos. Lovely Aroma of Indian Mutton Curry Recipe makes me hungry! I just love the flavor of this curry. The courtesy goes to my mom who makes this mind-boggling curry. I don’t eat rice I am a Chapati lover. However the day my mom cooks Chicken Biryani Or curry I just binge on eating rice.
This Mutton Curry Indian style recipe is full of Indian spices and rich in taste. What else on earth can I ask for in this winter????? ……. Delicious, mouthwatering Curry.
You might get surprised when you will know that I don’t eat Mutton. But I love mutton curry but not eating mutton. I binge on the potatoes from the Curry. I am a bit fussy when it comes to Mutton !
I am excited as this is my first Meat Curry I am sharing with all of you. Hope you enjoy this wholesome exotic curry full of Indian flavor. Eat with Bread, Chapati or plain rice. This Indian Mutton Curry Recipe will just taste awesome anyways. People like me can just gulp the curry with spoon.
I wonder what took me so long to share this lovely recipe with you. As this Mutton curry is quite often cooked by my mom as she is totally gaga over Mutton. Anyways let me share this wonderful Indian Mutton Curry Recipe – Mutton Curry Indian Style with all of you.
If you are a hard core non-vegetarian they try some recipes like mughlai chicken masala, chicken biryani homemade, chicken masala curry, butter chicken and tandoori chicken.
I am sure you would love it too! For vegetarians please replace paneer with mutton along the same ingredients and method given below.
Lets make step by step Mutton Curry Indian Style :
- Keep all the spices, herbs and ingredients ready.
2. Chop ginger, garlic, mint leaves, coriander leaves with little water. Grind them to form a smooth paste.
3. Now marinate the mutton with the above green paste. Keep it aside to marinate for 10 to 15 mins. Leave half green paste aside for tempering.
4. Take a pan add little oil. Cut 1 onion and saute them in the oil. Once onion changes color add desiccated coconut and saute. Once the onion- coconut becomes light brown in color. Remove from fire and grind them into a smooth paste.
5. Take a Kadhai or Vessel add oil. Once oil is hot add Shahi Jeera, Cloves, Cinnamon, Tejpata (Bay leaves).
6. Once it crackles add chopped onion to it. Saute for 3 to 4 mins.
7. Now add the rest of green paste and saute for 2 to 3 mins. Add tomatoes and saute for 2 mins. Put coriander powder, Chili Powder, Turmeric, Fennel Powder. Saute for 2 mins.
8. Add potatoes and stir for a while.
9. Now its time to add marinated mutton. Also add the onion – coconut paste. Please don’t discard the left over marinated masalas add little water and pour in the curry.
10. Put 1 glass water Or as you require the consistency of the curry. Also don’t forget to add salt. Now pressure cook until 5 whistles. If you making in a vessel wait until potatoes are soft and cooked.Garnish with Coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice, pav Or rotis.
Serve Indian Mutton Curry Recipe with pav, bread, rice or pulao.
- 2 onion
- 1 Tomato chopped finely
- 1 cup Desiccated Coconut grated (sukha nariyal )
- 2 Bay leaves (tejpatta)
- 2 Cinnamon (dalchini)
- 8 Black pepper (kalimiri)
- 4 Cloves (lavang)
- 3 Green Cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 tbsp caraway seed (shahi jeera)
- 15 Garlic chopped (lehsun)
- 1 Inch Ginger (adrak)
- 3 Green Chillies (hari mirch)
- 6 to 7 Strands of Coriander leaves (kothmir)
- 7 to 8 Mint leaves (pudina)
- ½ kg Mutton medium
- 2 Potatotes medium sized chopped (aloo)
- 1 tbsp Coriander seeds Powder (Dhaniya)
- 1 t/s Red Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Fennel seed powder (Badisaunf powder)
- 1 t/s turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup water Or as consistency required
- Chop Ginger, Garlic, Chillies, mint leaves, Coriander leaves. Grind them to form a smooth paste.
- Now marinate the mutton with half green paste. Keep rest half for tempering. Marinate for 10 to 15 mins.
- Take a Tawa or Pan add little oil. Cut 1 onion and saute them in the oil. Once onion changes color add desiccated coconut and saute.
- Once the onion- coconut becomes brown in color. Remove from fire and grind them into a uniform paste.
- Take a Kadhai or Vessel add oil. Once oil is hot add Shahi Jeera, Cloves, Cinnamon, Tejpata (Bay leaves).
- Once it crackles add chopped onion to it. Saute for 3 to 4 mins.
- Now add the rest of green paste and saute it for 2 to 3 mins
- Add tomatoes and saute for 2 mins. Put coriander powder, Chili Powder, Turmeric, Fennel Powder. Saute for 2 mins.
- Add potatoes and stir for a while.
- Now its time to add marinated mutton Or marinated Paneer if veg. Also add the onion - coconut paste. Please don't discard the left over marinated masalas add little water and pour in the curry.
- Put 1 glass water Or as you require the consistency of the curry. Also don't forget to add salt.
- Now pressure cook until 5 whistles. If you making in a vessel wait until potatoes are soft and cooked.
- Serve Mutton Curry Indian Style hot with Bread Or Rice with some salad.
2. You can make variations in this curry by adding ½ cup curd with cashews for rich taste.
3. If you use pressure cooker the curry will cook faster.