Goan Tendli Vegetable Or Tendli Foogath made with no spice, cooked in their own juice and flavored with coconut tastes simply yum with chapatis. My mom makes Goan Tendli Vegatable quite often I love to eat such veggies made from my mom. Goan Tendli Vegetable also called as foogath in goa is easy to make and no complications Or fuss. I love you mom for making us eat this while we were kids 🙂
My hubby also loves foogath same way we prepare french beans and cabbage. However there are variations to foogath too. For instance people add curry leaves, cashewnuts etc to make foogath. I am uploading simple recipes and nutritional recipes as I don’t get time nowadays.
Days are passing so quicker its been four months I am married now looks like yesterday 😉 the feeling of marriage is seeping into me now. As until last month I never felt I am married and a wife. Just felt I am on a short vacation far away from my parents. Hmmmm but facing reality now! To be a woman is so difficult she has to be strong and running around all the times. Whereas the opposite gender is chilled out, lazed out and taken care off by women again 😉
Guess I need a small vacation for me going to beaches, islands Or mountains. Awaiting to go for a leisure trip subject to my hubbys leaves. Have a strong gut feeling travel is on my cards when and where let time decide. Don’t worry I am not a astrologer just listen to my heart and sixth sense sometimes that’s all.
Ivy Gourd Foogath Recipe below:
- Take coconut oil in a wok Or vessel. Place it on low heat. Saute green chili and onion for a minute. Don’t brown the onion it should be pale pink color. Add sugar to it.
2. Now add chopped Ivy Gourd (Tendli) and mix all nicely. Place a lid on it with some water. Allow to cook for 7 to 10 mins Or until cooked. Keep gas on low mode. Keep stirring in between.
3. Remove the lid add fresh grated coconut and salt to it. Mix all nicely. Cover with lid and cook for another 3 mins.
4. Switch off the gas. Check the seasoning add salt if required. Serve hot with chapatis
Ivygourd foogath recipe and the printable version below:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 250 gms Ivy Gourd (Tendli) chopped and slit length wise
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 onion julienne Or chopped finely
- 3 tbsp fresh grated coconut
- salt as per taste
- Take coconut oil in a wok Or vessel. Place it on low heat. Saute green chili and onion for a minute. Don't brown the onion it should be pale pink color. Add sugar to it.
- Now add chopped Ivy Gourd (Tendli) and mix all nicely. Place a lid on it with some water. Allow to cook for 7 to 10 mins Or until cooked. Keep gas on low mode. Keep stirring in between.
- Remove the lid add fresh grated coconut and salt to it. Mix all nicely. Cover with lid and cook for another 3 mins.
- Switch off the gas. Check the seasoning add salt if required. Serve hot with chapatis
•The onion should not be brown in color. It should be pale pink while you saute add add the vegetable quickly.
you have not mentioned sugar in the ingredients….i guess a pinch would be sufficient?
in Kerala cusine there is s similar dish called Thoran…only difference is that we add curry leaves and to taste better shallots are used instead of onions…
just to let you know i tried a few recepies of yours for my hubby who is reallllly fussy with food happened to love them. thanks a lot.
keep up the good work…
Remya thanks have already rectified thanks for pointing out 🙂 yeah Kerala Cuisine is quite similar to Goan Cuisine! That’s great hubbys are always fussy lol nice to know he liked the food…….. take care and happy cooking!
Kiri W. says
I haven’t had tendi gourd, but it looks like a fantastic dish 🙂
Thanks Kiri 🙂
i also love tendli made this way. simple and comforting home made goan food.
Thanks Dassana 🙂