Welcome Summers by eating Malai Kulfi Malai Kulfi made instantly at home.
I can eat them any season. In childhood days mom used take me and sis to Girgaon Chowpatty Mumbai. There we used to eat kulfis served with falooda. For some reason I used to just eat kulfi and no falooda till date I just enjoy kulfi but not with falooda. Also we used to enjoy pio wala who use to sell kulfis on leaf. Hmmmm was missing kulfis hence made home that too of 3 different kind one malai kulfi, second pistachio kulfi and third paan kulfi.
I have posted a few recipes of kulfis on my blog. But this kulfi is special why? I”ll reply because Malai Kulfi is made instantly, easy to make, no fuss of cooking for long time, no complication and result is yummy kulfi. Traditional kulfis are made without condensed milk and modern kulfis are made with condensed milk so mine is modern one.
As I a child I used to think what is the difference between kulfi v/s icecream.But now I know icecream is churned, icecream maker Or eggs are used for icecream. Whereas kulfis are made with full cream milk it’s cooked until thick and reduced. Later sugar, nuts, saffron, rose water etc are added to make it more richer. Hope you are clear with the difference do add if I have missed on something.
Total Time for Malai Kulfi: 20 mins cooking + 3 hours freezing
Notes for Malai Kulfi:
- I have added less condensed milk as I prefer less sweet so add as per preference.
- Nuts are optional but it gives a great taste.
- Ensure you heat milk on low fire else it will get burnt.
- If kewra essence isn’t available you could replace with almond essence.
Malai Kulfi recipe details listed below:
- 1 ltr full cream milk
- 200 ml condensed milk
- 1 tbsp organic rice flour Or rice flour
- 2 tbsp milk powder
- 1 t/s green cardamom powder
- ½ cup cream
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 tbsp kewra essence
- 10 chopped toasted pistachios
- 10 chopped toasted cashews
- 10 chopped toasted almonds
- a pinch of salt
- Boil milk on low heat on a wide bottomed pan. Once milk has reached it's boiling point i.e. when milk completely comes high. Switch off the gas at this point.
- Add rice flour, milk powder when milk is very hot and stir nicely. Allow the milk to cool down.
- Now add condensed milk, cream, cardamom powder, kewra essence, rose water, salt and all toasted chopped nuts.
- Combine all nicely and pour in kulfi moulds Or any mould. Freeze until firm. If using kulfi moulds rub gently towards the bottom for few seconds.
- The kulfi will slide out gently insert a toothpick. Sprinkle some nuts and enjoy chilled kulfi. Alternatively you could slice and eat kulfis.