Margherita Pizza hails from Italy also represents the color of Italian Flag. I usually make this thought of sharing Margherita Pizza from Scratch with everyone.
Margherita Pizza has a history So I am sharing with you in brief. Baker named Rafaelle Esposito. Esposito worked at the pizzeria which was established in 188o and is still operating under the name “Pizzeria Brandi.” In 1889 he baked three different pizzas for the visit of King Umbert0 and Queen Margherita od Savoy. The Queen’s favorite was a pizza evoking the colors of the Italian flag — green (basil leaves ), white (mozarella), and red (tomatoes). This combination was named Pizza Margherita in her honor. For more information please click here 🙂
What I have done is made the pizza dough from scratch, tomato sauce from scratch so everything made home. Also it doesn’t takes much of your time and you could always keep excess dough in the freezer wrapped in polythene bag 😉
This pizza has the most simple but delicious ingredients. So let’s not waste time let’s move on making these scrumptious pizza!
Margherita Pizza from Scratch and the printable version below:
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp dry active yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp olive oil Or oil
- [b]Pizza Topping:[/b]
- 4 to 5 small cherry tomatoes Or 4 thin tomato slices for each pizza
- 40 gms mozzarella cheese Or cheddar cheese
- 4 to 5 basil leaves
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- some dried mixed herbs
- [b]for homemade pizza tomato sauce click here[url href=”http://www.flavorsofmumbai.com/homemade-pizza-sauce-fresh-tomatoes/” target=”_blank”]for recipe[/url][/b]
- Take a cup of water. Microwave on high power for 40 secs. The water should be juts hot where you will able to dip your finger. If the water is too hot Or cold the yeast will not get activated. Mix yeast in warm water. Add sugar and give a nice stir to it. Keep it covered for 4 to 5 mins at a humid place. Once the yeast gets frothy with bubbles it’s ready to be used. Now sift flour and salt. Make a small well in between add yeast- water mixture plus salt. Start kneading the flour add oil at the last stage. Knead until smooth and soft.
- Sprinkle some oil else the dough will get dried up. Allow the dough to rest in a humid place Or near sunlight for 30 mins to 1 hour Or until it rises. Now keep the dough covered with a damp cloth Or plastic wrap
- Once the dough rises dust some flour on the working area. Knead the dough again. Shape into small balls. Roll the balls with a roller into flat discs Or round shape. I have kept my pizza crust thin it’s upto you how thick Or thin you want your pizza base. In fact you could also give a square Or a triangular shape.
- Pierce the shaped bread with fork at some places. Spread the fresh tomato sauce leaving some space at the corners. Now spread grated cheese with few basil leaves. Add few cherry tomatoes Or slices of tomatoes.
- Put some more cheese on the top. Sprinkle black pepper powder and some dried herbs. Fold the sides of pizza Or leave the way it is. Just brush the edges with butter. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 12 to 14 mins Or until your pizza is browned and cooked. Slice into wedges and serve hot with sauce.