Masala Paniyaram are quite regular at my house for a quick and healthy snack. I make a lot of version so this time I always make masala paniyaram with cheese and corn recipe sound like you are hungry 😉 For people who don’t know what paniyarams are?? They are crispy balls from out and soft from within made with leftover idli or dosa batter. Masala paniyaram’s are also known as kuzhi paniyaram, appes, appams and paddu.
Paniyarams batter has to be thick like a idli batter. Later onion, chilies, ginger, green chilies, coriander leaves, fresh grated coconut etc are added. Then they are made in ebelskiver pan or the appe / paniyaram mou-lds. If you don’t have a mould then make fritters or pancakes with this batter.
I had a lot of sweetcorn hence I thought of coming with my own version of paniyaram. Cheese goes well with corn hence added for a great combination. Now when you add cheese ensure you place them in the center or add them as topping over the paniyarams. As cheese melts it would get stuck to your mould and make a messy affair for you to clean them later.
This serves as a great side snack, lunch box or a quick snack option for guests or kids. All you need is the idli batter you could make them home preferably or buy from the stores. But whichever batter you are using ensure it’s properly fermented batter for the paniyaram’s
You could play with the recipe and make your own version of paniyarams. There are two version of paniyarams one is sweet and the other is spicy one. So make your version soon. They are generally served with green or red chutney or serve with tomato sauce for kids 🙂
Let’s make step by step Masala Paniyaram With Cheese And Corn Recipe:
1. Combine all the ingredients into the batter. Add salt for seasoning.
2. Place the paniyaram cookware on high heat. Add a few drops of oil into each mould. Allow the oil to be hot.
3. Now add the batter only till the half of the mould. You could reduce the heat to medium now. You could add grated cheese and then cover the rest of half with the batter.
4. Alternatively you could top the batter with grated cheese
5. Allow to cook for 3-4 mins once they start browning. Invert gently with the help of a wooden stick or a knife. Cook the other side as well.
6. Once they are golden brown from both sides. Remove them and repeat the same process with the rest of batter.
7. Serve the masala paniyaram with chutney or tomato sauce.
If you are looking for more south indian snack’s then do check plain dosa, cheese dosa, instant ragi dosa, mung idlis, masala paniyarams, unniyappams, sambar, south indian prawns curry, hotel style coconut chutney and tomato chili chutney.
Masala Paniyaram with cheese and corn recipe below:
- cups of fermented idli batter (has to be thick batter)
- 1 tbsp semolina (optional) (sooji)
- 1/2 inch ginger grated or chopped finely (adrak)
- 1 small onion chopped finely (pyaz)
- 2 green chilies chopped finely (hari mirch)
- 10-12 curry leaves torn with hand or chopped finely (kadi pata)
- 2 tbsp fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
- 1/4th cup chopped coriander leaves (hara dhaniya)
- 1/2 cup boiled american sweetcorn
- 1/2 cup grated cheese any cheese is fine
- salt as per taste
- Combine all the ingredients into the batter. Add salt for seasoning.
- Place the paniyaram cookware on high heat.
- Add a few drops of oil into each mould. Allow the oil to be hot.
- Now add the batter only till the half of the mould. You could reduce the heat to medium now.
- You could add grated cheese and then cover the rest of half with the batter.
- Alternatively you could top the batter with grated cheese
- Allow to cook for 3-4 mins once they start browning. Invert gently with the help of a wooden stick or a knife.
- Once they are golden brown from both sides. Remove them and repeat the same process with the rest of batter.
- Serve the masala paniyaram with chutney or sauce.