Millet Flat Bread is our favorite at home. This Indian flat bread is made from white millet also known as Sorghum. In India sorghum is known as Jowar and this kind of bread is known as Dhebra in Gujarat-India. To make Millet Flat Bread is quite easy to make and is an ideal food.
What is difference between thepla and dhebra? Dhebra consist of bajra Or jowar flour whereas Thepla are made from mainly wheat flour. Dhebras are rolled into smaller discs whereas theplas are rolled into big discs like roti. Dhebras are shallow fried whereas theplas are fried with lesser oil. Only similarity between them is they have fenugreek leaves. Be it Dhebra Or Thepla both are yummy, tasty and makes a great snack.
Jowar Or Sorghum has great nutritive benefits and one of the top 5 cereals. In India jowar flour is used for making roti, bhakri. Jowar is also used to make khichdi, porridge etc. Jowar is also used to brew beer in many countries. So do include jowar in your diet. Millet Flat Bread is rich in iron, ideal snack, meal Or starter also kid friendly.
Let’s make Jowar Dhebra stepwise:
1. Combine all the above ingredients except oil. Knead the dough with help of yogurt. Please don’t add water. Add more yogurt if required knead into a smooth dough.
2. Dough shouldn’t be too soft Or too firm. Shape about 14 to 15 balls. Roll out 3 to 4 inches circles with a roller. Shouldn’t be too thin Or thick.
3. Take frying pan place on high heat. Reduce heat once pan is nicely heated. Shallow fry the dhebras with little ghee. Smear some ghee over the periphery of the dhebras. Fry from both sides until you see brown specks and they are cooked.
4. Repeat the same with rest of balls. Serve dhebras hot with yogurt, buttermilk, vegetables, curry Or chutney.
Enjoy Millet Flat Bread recipe and The printable version below:
- 1 tbsp oil + 3 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) for frying dhebras
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 cup white millet flour (jowar flour)
- 1 tbsp coriander powder (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1.5 cup fresh fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsp jaggery
- a pinch of asofoetida (hing)
- ½ t/s turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp ginger-chili paste
- 2 green chilies chopped finely (optional)
- organic salt Or black salt as per taste
- 4 tbsp sour yogurt
- Combine all the above ingredients except oil. Knead the dough with help of yogurt. Please don't add water. Add more yogurt
- if required knead into a smooth dough.
- Dough shouldn't be too soft Or too firm. Shape about 14 to 15 balls. Roll out 3 to 4 inches circles with a roller. Shouldn't
- be too thin Or thick.
- Take frying pan place on high heat. Reduce heat once pan is nicely heated. Shallow fry the dhebras with little ghee. Smear
- some ghee over the periphery of the dhebras. Fry from both sides until you see brown specks and they are cooked.
- Repeat the same with rest of balls. Serve dhebras hot with yogurt, buttermilk, vegetables, curry Or chutney.
2. Ensure you knead the dough with yogurt. Please don't add water to the dough.
3. Dhebras can be eaten as a snack Or meal.
4. Instead of clarified butter you could use oil.
this all dishes are also available in hindi language or in english only.
this all flavour of mumbai receipes are also available in hindi language. It is available in english language only.These receipes are given in hindi also.Actually i kknow english but it is easily understood in hindi.There are some difficult words that why.
Sushmita there is a translator bar on my site on the right hand side at the bottom. Click on the translator bar it would give you options to select any language you want and you would be able to check recipes in Hindi if you click on Hindi language. Hope this helps you lemme know if you need any help 🙂