Mixed Vegetable Pulao in Pressure Cooker recipe . Pulao, Pilau, Pilaf, Paella means the same and belong to same fraternity. The main source of ingredient are rice, some veggies, meat and aromatic spices. All are clubbed together and Pulao is formed. You can either cook them in slow Pressure cooker Or with covered lid.
Many people feel Pulao and Biryani are similar. However there are some differences in them which I will throw light on.
- In Biryani the rice and the gravy is cooked separately. Whereas in Pulao there isn’t any gravy and all are cooked together at one shot.
- Biryani is stacked with layers of gravy and rice. It’s then cooked on Dum (steam). Whereas Pulao has no layers.
- Mostly Biryani’s are heavily spiced and have a lot of ginger-garlic and herbs. Whereas Pulao do consist of spices but they are use in lesser quantity and even ginger-garlic paste, herbs are used in lesser quantities.
- Biryanis take a longer time to cook and level of difficulty is on a higher scale to make. Whereas Pulao’s are easy to make and takes about 20 mins it’s done instantly. If you cook pulao in pressure cooker within 3 whistles it’s ready.
- The best part is both Pulao and Biryani taste amazing and have a different taste and aroma. I love both of them.
Hope this helps people to differentiate between Pulao and Biryani. Also my pulao is mushy as I like to eat that way 😉
Mixed Vegetable Pulao recipe and the printable version below:
Mixed Vegetable Pulao in Pressure Cooker
Easy Mixed Vegetable Pulao in Pressure Cooker.
Recipe type: Main, veg
recipeIngredient (used american measuring cup, 1 cup = 250 ml)
- 2 cups basmati / kolam Or any long grained rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock Or water
- 3 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) Or oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.5 tbsp cumin seed
- 2 one inch cinnamon
- 1 big black cardamom (badi elaichi)
- 3 green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 4 cloves
- 8 to 10 peppercorns (kalimiri)
- 1 mace (javitri)
- 8 to 10 mint leaves
- 2 onion medium sized chopped into julienne
- 3 green chilies chopped vertically Or into julienne
- 7 to 8 almonds crushed
- 100 gms green peas
- 100 gms cauliflower florets
- 100 gms french beans chopped medium sized
- 100 gms carrot cut into cubes
- 1 potato medium sized chopped into big chunks
- few coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tbsp coriander seed powder (dhaniya)
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seed powder (jeera)
- 1 tbsp fennel seed powder (saunf)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- sea salt Or salt as per taste
How to make the recipe?
- Keep all the vegetables chopped and ready.
- Also keep all spices handy.
- Take the cooker Or vessel add 2 tbsp clarified butter. Once it's hot add all ingredients from number 4 to 11. saute for 2 mins on low flame. It will give a nice aroma.
- Now put mint leaves, almonds, sugar and ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a minute more.
- It's time to add one onion (keep other onion for tempering) julienne and green chilies. Saute for 3 to 4 mins until onion changes color to soft brown.
- Put all the chopped veggies (cauliflower, carrots, peas, french beans, potatoes and some coriander leaves).
- Add all spiced powder from number 24 to 26. Give a nice stir. Finally add rice + 4 cups of stock Or water + sea salt for seasoning. Again stir nicely. Cover with the lid and pressure cook on low heat until 3 whistles. Switch off the gas your Pulao is ready.
- Just fry the second onion into 1 tbsp oil until brown in color. Spread them over the pulao.Serve hot with raita Or salad.
Serving size: 3 to 4 people
i made this pulav yesterday..and i finished the whole cooker..it was really tasty..thanks for sharing..
Great Suhani I am glad you liked them take care 🙂