Traditional Gujarati and Rajasthani Sweet is Mohanthal (Gram Flour Fudge)! Learn how to make Mohanthal Recipe. It’s quite easy to make these if you follow the instructions upto the tee. This recipe hails from Gujarat and Rajasthan. Diwali is incomplete without this sweet.
Mohanthal is made from bengal gram flour / chickpea flour. Its a sweet fudge made during Diwali. My friend had offered me to eat this sweet yesterday which I kind of quite relished. I have eaten this earlier but never made so made this time. I have adapted this recipe from my friend.
This is my second attempt as first one was a disaster my mohanthal became quite rubbery. So I have given all the details with tips and suggestions how to make a perfect Mohanthal Recipe.
Tomorrow onwards will make savories as kind of bored making and eating sweets. But I know after two days will feel like eating sweets again. Coming back to recipe mohanthal has lot of ghee (clarified butter) in it. So don’t be a miser eat healthy food sometimes. As without ghee it won’t taste that great. Also check tried and tested Diwali recipes here. Also I have used organic sugar hence the mohanthal color is slightly brown looks like chocolate barfi. You could use plain sugar.
Mohanthal Recipe and printable details below:
- 2 cups gramflour (I used organic gramflour you could use plain gramflour)
- 1 t/s cardamom powder
- 1 t/s nutmeg powder
- 1 t/s dry ginger powder (soonth)
- 1 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 cup sugar (I used organic sugar)
- ½ cup water + 1 tbsp more water
- almond Or pistachio flakes
- Firstly boil water with sugar.
- While sugar syrup is getting ready we would sift gram flour. Add ½ cup ghee and 1 tbsp milk. Rub ghee with the flour with help of your palm.
- The mixture should look like bread crumbs. Allow the mixture to rest for 10 mins.
- Now take a wide bottomed saucepan add rest of ghee place on low heat. Add the flour mixture to it and roast for 10 mins Or until it's nicely browned and leaves aroma.
- Once sugar syrup reaches thread like consistency add rest of milk and cardamom + nutmeg powder + dry ginger powder. If there is any scum please remove with the help of spoon. Switch off the gas.
- Time to add sugar syrup in the flour mixture. Mix all well. Switch off the gas after 2 mins. Don't keep for long.
- Grease a tray Or dish. Gently pour this hot batter over it. Tap the tray Or dish gently so that the mixture spreads everywhere evenly.
- Allow the fudge to cool down this may take upto 4 hours. Garnish with almond Or pistachio flakes. Cut them into squares and serve.
2. Allow the fudge to cool it would solidify as it cools down.
3. Use nuts of your choice you could also add finely chopped pistachio Or almond flakes into the fudge.
4. Also I have used a combination of spice powder you could use only cardamom powder all three.