Moong Dal tadka recipe with step by step photos. Moong dal Tadka is one of my favorite dals or lentils.. You can eat this dal as soup or as a meal upto you. Also this recipe is mild, light spiced, low fat yet yummy and delicious. My mom loved it. I was overwhelmed by her response…Do try this Moong Dal Tadka Recipe!
Moong is very healthy even infants can have them. Sprouted moong bean has more nutritive value. There are lot of dishes made in India from Moong. Some of them are Khichdi, dals, vegetable, pakoras (fritters), soup, Moong dosas, dried moong dal and the list goes on and on.
Even people having stomach bloating, indigestion, acidity and arthritis can have Moong. But consult your doctor before consuming any eatables. Do include Moong in your diet weekly if not daily…….You can make out how flash is spoiling my pictures. Made in the night so no natural light. Still tried my best to click some good pics 🙂
We had pasta today for lunch. Mom was tired hence I decided to prepare tasty Mung Dal Tadka Recipe with hot rice. Also fried bitter gourd from our garden for dinner. Typically Indian meal steamed rice with dal tadka and vegetables along with some pickle. Simple, light but irresistible meal to eat during summers.
Moong dal tadka recipe card below:
- 150 gms Yellow Mung Dal
- 2 tbsp Ghee Or Oil
- 3 to 4 Kashmiri Red Chilies
- 18 to 20 Garlic Cloves chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 t/s Hing (Asofoetida)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 t/s Turmeric
- 20 to 25 Curry Leaves
- ½ cup Water or as consistency required
- Salt as per taste
- Firstly pressure cook the mung upto 3 whistles or until tender. You can also boil mung in a vessel with water. But this process will take a longer time. If you pressure cook the dal you will save time as well as fuel.
- Until the dal is boiling we will keep ready our ingredients for tadka. Chop garlic, onion keep them aside. Once your dal is pressure cooked. We will make the tadka for the dal.
- Take a wok or vessel. Add ghee or oil. Now saute cumin seeds.
- Add 10 to 12 curry leaves along with Kashmiri chilies. Put Hing (Asofoetida) and mix all of them well.
- Once they crackle add garlic cloves and sugar.
- Now also add turmeric and saute for a minute.
- Mix the pressure cooked mung dal. Add water as consistency required. I have added only ½ cup water as thick dal tastes awesome.
- Add salt for seasoning and finally add red chili powder. Let the dal cook for about 10 mins more on medium flame or once it starts bubbling heavily. Finally add rest of curry leaves. Break them with your hand and add them. After a minute switch off the gas.
- Your Mung dal is ready. Serve hot with rice or Roti. Garnish with few curry leaves or coriander leaves.