Mughlai Chicken Masala Recipe – Creamy, delicious and easy to prepare chicken curry dish. Yesterday I thought of preparing this mughal delicacy. This dish is less richer then compared to other mughlai dishes. I have used cream in lesser quantity and this is a easy version of Mughlai Chicken Masala. You could make this home easily following my step by step detailed instructions. We make this home atleast once in fifteen days.
My hubby complimented this is the best curry I have made till date as he is one of my best critic. I am looking forward to make this dish when I have guests at home. As it’s easy and less time consuming.
I prefer to use homemade garam masala powder or shaan garam masala powder. Also my rest of spice powders like cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder etc are home made.
Usually lot of nut paste goes in making mughal food. I have only used whole cashews in the curry and no nut paste. This is my own version of curry after making so many mughlai recipes I know the base properly for mughal curry
I have posted some chicken recipes on blog like chicken biryani, thai chicken curry, mughlai chicken korma, chicken salami chili and butter chicken.
Let’s make Mughlai Chicken Masala Recipe step by step:
1. Firstly combine all the ingredients for the paste into a blender. Grind until it’s a uniform smooth paste. Rub this paste all over the chicken. Allow to marinate for 25 mins.
2. Take a heavy bottomed wok Or pan add ghee / oil. Once oil is hot add caraway seed, cumin seed, cloves, cardamom seed, black cardamom, bay leaves, star anise and garam masala powder.
3. Saute for a minute once it leaves nice aroma add chopped onion.
4. Fry onion until golden brown in color. Add sugar which will help the onion to caramelize faster.
5. Time to add the chicken also add the leftover orange paste.
6. Again add rest of garam masala, turmeric powder, cashew nut and cinnamon powder.
7. Add half mint leaves. Cook without lid for 8-10 mins and keep stirring in between.
8. Now add pepper powder, mace powder, rest of mint leaves, rest of red chili powder, amchur powder and salt for seasoning. Cover with a lid containing water. Cook for 5 mins more.
9. Finally add cream mix nicely. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins. Once chicken is tender and cooked switch off the gas. Taste and check alter spices as required.
Serve Mughlai Chicken Masala Curry hot with naan, roti or rice. Garnish with mint leaves on top.
Mughlai Chicken Masala Recipe details below:
- 2 tbsp oil / ghee (I used ghee)
- 2 onion julienne
- 1 t/s caraway seed (shahi jeera)
- 1 t/s cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 kg chicken medium sized pieces
- 2 bay leaves (tejpata)
- 3-4 cloves(lavang)
- 4 green cardamom (elaichi)
- 1 black cardamom (moti elaichi)
- 1 star anise
- ½ t/s mace powder (javitri powder)
- 1 t/s black pepper powder
- ½ t/s turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ t/s cinnamon powder (dalchini powder)
- ½ cup mint leaves (pudina)
- 1 t/s garam masala powder + 1 t/s more
- 1 t/s dry raw mango powder (amchur)
- 10-12 cashewnut
- 2 tbsp fresh cream or as required
- salt as per taste
- For the curry paste:
- 150 m thick yogurt
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 3 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder + ½ tbsp more for curry
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- Firstly combine all the ingredients for the paste into a blender. Grind until it's a uniform smooth paste. Rub this paste all over the chicken. Allow to marinate for 25 mins.
- Take a heavy bottomed wok Or pan add ghee / oil. Once oil is hot add caraway seed, cumin seed, cloves, cardamom seed, black cardamom, bay leaves, star anise and garam masala powder.
- Saute for a minute once it leaves nice aroma add chopped onion.
- Fry onion until golden brown in color. Add sugar which will help the onion to caramelize faster.
- Time to add the chicken also add the leftover orange paste.
- Again add rest of garam masala, turmeric powder, cashew nut and cinnamon powder.
- Add half of mint leaves. Cook without lid for 8-10 mins and keep stirring in between.
- Now add pepper powder, mace powder, rest of mint leaves, rest of red chili powder, amchur powder and salt for seasoning. Cover with a lid containing water. Cook for 5 mins more.
- Finally add cream mix nicely. Cover and cook for 2-3 mins. Once chicken is tender and cooked switch off the gas. Taste and check alter spices as required.
- Serve Mughlai Chicken Masala recipe hot with naan, roti or rice. Garnish with mint leaves on top.
2.This is a mild to medium spiced curry so add spices as per your preference.
3.You could marinate chicken for a longer time. I didn't do that.
4.If you are not fond of cream then grind soaked cashews and almonds for a creamy consistency in the curry.
Dr Mohammad Imran says
Cream konsi use krni h?
You can use amul cream or any good brand.
Tried this one last weekend! Delicious!
Thank you for this great recipe!
Welcome always and thankyou Pradnya for your kind and positive words 🙂
tasneem mohammed says
Hi am trying out da mughlai chicken recipe 2day. Wil let u knw hw it turned out to be. But as far as i hv reached in da process everythng is looking great.
Sure Tasneem do try and let me how it was?? thanks.
Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe. We have made this today and it turned out amazing!
We will certainly try another recipe soon.
Greetings, Jolanda and Vincent from The Netherlands
You are welcome pleased to know you liked the mughlai chicken masala recipe 🙂 surely try and let me know. Thankyou so much.
ranjitha shetty says
Today i tried ur mugalai chicken masala it came out so well.My daughter just loved this one.thanks for the recipe and keep posting .i just love ur blog.
Pleased to know this Ranjitha 🙂 glad you kid liked the mughlai chicken thankyou for your positive comments god bless you.
When I blend it became juice like. Is it k if I use this juice for marination ?
Hope the yogurt you used was thick but it’s okay if it’s little thin.
Namrata sen says
Just love dat recipe
Thankyou Namrata 🙂
I make curries 2 or 3 times per week and tend to drive my family crazy with spilled spices, ingredients all over the counter, preethi running all the time and wafting aromas billowing from the kitchen. Suffice to say, Indian food is not a “specialty” meal to my family members. In fact they are usually brutally honest about the end results of my culinary experiments.
That said, without a word I immediately know when my wife thoroughly enjoys one of my curries as she tends to lick the plate clean. That happened today after making your Mughlai Chicken Masala.
I’ve tried literally hundreds of Indian food recipes on the Internet and from various books over the years with mixed results (usually nothing noteworthy). So when I come across a recipe that stands out it says something about the creator of the dish. This dish could easily be served in an Indian restaurant. The dish was rich, silky and layered with flavours. The blend of whole and powdered spices made for a beautiful aromatic, yet subtle taste experience. In some ways reminiscent of murgh makhani (without the butter). In short, it was delicious. Very well done! I may have slightly over-salted it but it was still a home run.
My wife has already saved this recipe to her iPad great food app short list. I look forward to trying more of your recipes.
Thank you for sharing this wonderful dish. It was excellent! You must have a very happy husband.
I am sorry for the delay to reply. Pleased to know your detailed feedback thanks a ton. I am glad your family loved the Mughlai chicken curry. Surely do try more recipes and share your views too.
You are welcome and yeah hubby is lucky 🙂
Hi Maria..thankyou for an awesome recipe and nice presentation…you didn’t add water in the recipe…should I add it or the water coming out from the chicken itself is enough? …
You are welcome also the moisture coming from chicken is enough. Cover with a lid containing water so the gravy doesn’t dry. However if you don’t want thick gravy then do add little water for thinner consistency. Also would await your feedback once you make them 🙂
Mariya Mulla says
Its an amazing recipe i had ever tried before..awesome
Thankyou Mariya 🙂
Where can i find Shan masala powder? Can we order online or have to buy in stores? I stay in hyderabad.
Namrata you should get them easily in any leading store or supermarket. If you don’t get shaan masala go for everest instead, hope this helps you 🙂
Good recipe with nice presentation.Delicious and wonderful looking very nice and yummy..
thank u so much maria for such a delicious recipe… it was really too good !!!!
welcome Anurasree 🙂 happy to know you liked it.
Sameer Ghag says
How to prepare cream? is it available readily in supermarkets? please advice.
Sameer cream is available in supermarkets I always get amul cream small packet. Hope this helps you 🙂
thank you so mch Maria for sharing this awesome recipe…me and my hubby cant stop us from licking our fingers..plz, keep sharing such nice recipes..
Sure Shahina would keep updating recipes also thankyou for sharing your feedback and glad to know your hubby loved it 🙂
i have tried this but still i have a lot of confusion that which ingrediants has to blended but still i have tried my bst…………!!!!!!!
Shreya there is a seperate sectiion for the paste hers it is [b]For the curry paste: [/b]
150 m thick yogurt
2 tbsp desiccated coconut
1 inch ginger chopped
4-5 garlic cloves
3 tomatoes chopped
1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder + 1/2 tbsp more for curry
1 tbsp sugar
Hope this helps you and hope you liked the dish??
Parminder Pinder says
Sister i can’t understand. Please mujhe bataye kaun se ingredients blend karne hai aur yoghurt kis stage par use karna hai …….
Awesum recipe…very delicious..me and my husband couldn’t stop praising the recipe while having dinner..jus followed ur recipe as it is..loved it..thank u for this amazing dish
Thankyou Neha for trying the recipe I am glad you and your hubby loved it. You are welcome Neha looking forward for more feedback from you take care have a great weekend 🙂
Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen says
This looks incredible Maria! My husband and I are huge fans of curry and Indian food! I can’t wait to give this one a try! 🙂
Surely Christina give a try 🙂