Pav Bhaji, How to make Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe | Mumbai Street Food
Mumbai Pav Bhaji is one of Mumbai’s hottest selling fast food and street food! I am very excited to share Mumbai Pav Bhaji Recipe. I have vivid memories of eating chats on juhu beach with sand dunes, cool breeze, lovely sea waves, people and the chats stalls. My mom used to take me and my sis to juhu beach almost every month. The way I use to stare at the guy making chats. Also anxiously wait for my turn to eat them! lols…Hmmm I am hungry again with this word chat;)… Also this is my old post which I have replaced with new pics and new look.
My dad wanted to eat pav bhaji and my friend Swasti Arya also had requested to make Pav Bhaji! So yesterday was the day we made it. It’s one of the most simplest dishes to make on earth. The best part was my dad, mom and my pet loved it. You got to add loads of butter in pav bhaji that too amul brand. I am just kidding you can add butter as per your preference and brand. However I like my pav bhaji with Utterly Butterly Delicious Amul Butter.
Across all streets and corners of Mumbai you will find pav bhaji stalls. Even while you clubbing late in the night. There are some stall and vendors who sell these delicious pav bhaji during the wee hours of night. What more can a person ask for?…. Most of people in Mumbai also eat pav bhaji as meals during lunch Or dinner. As pav bhaji tends to be a heavy snack. It also depends how many pavs you gulp with the bhaji….
I have used basic vegetables used for pav bhaji. Capsicum is a strict no for me as I hate them. After eating you start burping hence it’s my preference I didn’t use capsicum for my pav bhaji. But I have tried authentic Mumbai – Juhu Beach Cheese pav bhaji. It was super yum and mouthwatering.
Calorie conscious people can eat pav bhaji but with moderate amount of butter. As without butter pav bhaji will not taste that great. I want to finish this post quickly as I wish everyone to make pav bhaji home and eat them
Mumbai Pav Bhaji recipe details below:
1 t/s cumin seed (jeera) optional
- 2 finely chopped onion (kanda)
- 1 capsicum finely chopped
- 3 fresh tomatoes puree (tamatar)
- 3 green chilies chopped (hari mirch)
- 75 gms green peas boiled (matar)
- 1 carrot (gajar) boiled and mashed (optional)
- 3 potatoes boiled and mashed (aloo, batata)
- ½ cup coriander leaves (kothmir)
- ¼ t/s turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 t/s ginger-garlic paste (adrak-lasun)
- 2 tbsp pav bhaji masala Everest brand ( I added 4 tbsp as I wanted more)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 t/s red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 t/s amchur powder (raw mango powder)
- 2 tbsp chat masala
- 1 lime juice
- 2 tbsp butter ( I have used 4 tbsp butter)
- 1 tbsp oil
- rock salt as per taste
- ½ cup water or veg stock
8 laadi pav Or buns
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- few chopped onion
- few chopped coriander leaves
- Firstly make fresh laadi pavs/buns at home Or buy from market.
- It’s important to boil potatoes, carrots, peas before making pav bhaji. Once they are boiled mash these veggies with your hand Or fork.
- For tomato puree- Chop tomatoes and blend them in a processor. Once the mixture is smooth your tomato puree is ready. There is no need to blanch the tomatoes. Just chop and blend that’s it.
- Chop all veggies like onion, green chilies, capsicum and coriander leaves. Keep everything ready.
- Take a saucepan add oil+butter.
- Now saute cumin seeds if using for a minute. Add chopped onion, capsicum and green chilies along with sugar. Saute for 2 to 3 mins. Also add little rock salt and stir well.
- Now add ginger-garlic paste to it. Mix all nicely.
- It’s time to add tomato puree. Add all spices like turmeric, red chili powder, chat masala, pav bhaji masala, amchur powder, few drops of lime juice. Combine everything nicely for 3 to 4 mins.
- Put all mashed veggies like potatoes, carrots and peas. Add veg stock / water as consistency required.
- Let the bhaji simmer for 4 to 5 mins. Finally add rock salt and reserved lime juice. 11.Taste and check is anything is missing. If you want more spicy add dash of red chili powder, if want more tangy then add lime juice.
- Top the pav bhaji with dollop of butter and squeeze some more lime juice. Garnish with coriander leaves and onion.
1.Take the pav and slit in the center of the pav. Keep a pan on low heat. Add 1 tbsp butter along with pav bhaji masala. Fry both sides of pav into this. Just slightly fry them don’t burn them.
- Stuff the pav with few onions and coriander leaves. Some people also like to stuff pav bhaji into masala pav and eat. It’s upto you how you like to eat your pav bhaji.
- I like my pav bhaji topped with butter, some chopped onions and chopped lime. Along with hot buttered pavs. For accompaniment I would love to eat onion-tomato salad and Fried Papad.
- Serve the pav bhaji with masala pav hot along some chopped onion.
2.You could also top your pav bhaji with grated cheese. That's your cheese pav bhaji
3.I have used everest brand for pav bhaji masala. You could use any good brand.