Mumbai’s hot selling fast food is Mumbai Potato Wraps Or Potato Kati Rolls Or Potato Frankie 🙂
Whatsoever you call them Mumbai Potato Wraps are one of my hot favorites which I love to binge on street stalls of Mumbai. A Frankie Or wrap is also known as Mumbai Burrito. Frankies Or Wraps in Mumbai are given an egg wash to the roti (flat bread). However I haven’t used any egg and this an eggless Wraps which I have clubbed with cheese + herbs + spices.
Now what is Kati Roll? kati Roll originated from Calcutta before spreading out in other regions. Kati rolls are flat bread mainly made from refined flour (maida) later it’s stuffed with chicken Or meat kebabs and then rolled. Same way vegetarian kati roll is prepared which is stuffed with potatoes Or cottage cheese etc….There are lot of variations you get to see in wraps Or rolls nowadays. Still confused never mind just eat them I bet it’s delicious 😉
I have added 1:1 proportion of whole wheat flour and refined flour to have some health factor. Also the Mumbai Potato Wraps were so yummy my hubby ate 6 of them and I ate 3 of them. Such is the magic of Mumbai Potato Wraps they are just too tempting 🙂 🙂
Wraps are good options for lunch box, quick meals for kids Or adults. Instead of potatoes you could add paneer, veggies, leafy vegetables Or boiled shredded chicken. Even kids love to eat wraps be it any kind. Also I have added green chutney which adds pore vitamins, color, flavor and taste to the wraps.
One of my readers had asked me to make chicken kati roll 3 months back. However this one is Mumbai Potato Wraps so you could add cooked minced chicken Or meat instead of veggies.
Total Time: 20 mins boiling potatoes + 10 mins kneading dough + 20 mins making rotis + 5 mins stuffing+ 5 mins for making green chutney = 60 mins
- Add any toppings of your choice be it eggs, veggies Or non veg.
- Green chutney is optional however it gives a nice flavor to your wraps.
- It’s important you roll the rotis thin else it will not taste like wraps.
- You could use parsley, lettuce, rosemary, celery, coriander leaves any herbs you like.
- If you aren’t able to get a perfect round shape just place a round metal bowl and give some pressure to it. You will get round rotis.
Mumbai Potato Wraps Recipe details listed below:
- For wrap (flat bread)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup refined flour (maida)
- 1 cup water Or as required
- 1 t/s salt
- 1 t/s baking soda
- 1 tbsp oil for binding dough + 2 tbsp oil for frying them
- For green chutney (optional):
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves
- 2 green chilies
- 1 inch ginger peeled
- ½ lime juice
- black salt as per taste
- For stuffing
- 4 boiled potatoes (peeled and mashed)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- 2 cucumber finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- few chopped coriander leaves
- some cheese slices Or 1 cup cheese grated
- few lettuce leaves Or parsley twigs
- black salt as required
- chat masala as required
- foil paper to wrap
- Firstly keep all ingredients ready. Boil potatoes till tender. Peel their skin and mash them while they are still warm with a fork. Chop some coriander leaves and mix with the mashed potatoes.
- Combine all the dough ingredients except oil. Knead into a smooth dough add oil at the end which aids in binding the dough. Dough shouldn’t be too soft nor too thick. Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rest for 5 mins. Shape into small balls and roll into thin rotis about 3 to 4 inches oval Or circular shape. Dust some flour before rolling the rotis.
- Repeat the same with rest of dough. Place a frying pan on heat. Once it’s nicely heated place the roti. Smear some oil around the edges and towards the center of roti. Fry from both sides. Apply oil if required. Once you start seeing brown specks Or spots on them . Remove and fry the rest of rotis. Keep the rotis in a casserole Or covered.
- Combine all the ingredients except salt for chutney into a processor. Grind until smooth paste is formed add water if required. Lastly add black salt Or salt. If you add salt while grinding your chutney will start darkening so ensure you add salt towards the end.
- Place the lettuce Or parlsey twigs vertically at the center of the roti. Place some mashed potato mixture over the lettuce leaves. Sprinkle some chat masala, black salt, put some onion, tomatoes, chilies and cucumber. Spread some green chutney on top. Lastly place a cheese slice. Now wrap from both sides Hold it tight tuck with a toothpick Or wrap with a foil Or butter paper to seal it from down.
- Serve Potato wraps hot with ketchup Or chutney.
nidhi@ whats cooking mom says
Never had Potato wraps though I have tried rajma burritos. Definitely worth a try. you have a lovely collection of recipes, Maria.
Thanks Nidhi 🙂