Hmmm yummy Mumbai street food Mumbai Ragda Patties Recipe:) My mouth is watering writing about it. At all chaat corner in Mumbai you have to find ragda patties chat. Now what is ragda it’s dried yellow pea (safed chana) soaked and boiled. Patties is a potato cake. Ragda Patties is topped with green chutney, sweet chutney, some onion, pomegranate raita. Mumbai Ragda Patties recipe is one of the most popular snack of Mumbai street food.
As a child I used to love eating Ragda Patties at Juhu Beach, chaat corners, near college campus etc. I remember how me and my sis used to love to binge on chats like pani pooris, bhel puri, sev puri and ragda patties. Ragda Patties Recipe is one of the simplest recipe to make on earth.
You just need o make the chutney, sauce in advance and keep all the ingredients handy. Rest is just assembling which even a kid could do 😉 By the way Ragda Patties is quite filling it also can be eaten as one of your short meals. But what about my breakfast I am feeling hungry right now. I have tried some of popular mumbai street food like Pav bhaji, Cheese pav bhaji, potato wraps, sabudana khichdi and puri bhaji.
Total Time: 8 hours for peas to be soaked+ 2 hour 30 mins (inclusive of potato boiling, cooking yellow peas, making chutney, sauce and frying patties)
Mumbai Ragda Patties Recipe recipe details listed below:
- 5 cup ragda
- 2 cup green chutney spicy chat chutney
- 2 cup sweet chutney sweet chat chutney
- 2 cup of sweet pomegranate yogurt raita (mix yogurt with sugar and stir well)
- 10 medium sized potatoes (boiled, peeled and mashed)
- 5 tbsp cornflour or rice flour
- few chopped coriander leaves (optiona)
- salt as per taste
- 5 tbsp oil for shallow frying
- 1 onion finely chopped
- some fine sev
- some chopped coriander leaves
- some chat masala
- some amchur powder (optional)
- Prepare ragda, green chutney, sweet chutney, pomegranate raita, boil potatoes in advance. Keep all the ingredients and chutney ready for ragda patties.
- Boil, peel potatoes mash them along with cornflour, coriander leaves and salt. Make 2 inch wide balls and gently flatten them with your palm.
- Take frying pan add oil once oil is hot. Shallow fry the the patties until golden brown and crisp form both sides.
- Place patties on paper napkin to absorb excess oil.
- The last part is assembling which takes least effort. Take serving plate place 2 fried patties over it. Pour some ragda over it enough to cover them.
- Pour some green chutney, sweet chutney and some sev.
- Now put some pomegranate yogurt raita. Agian put some green + sweet chutney. Sprinkle some sev, some chopped onion, coriander leaves, chat masala and amchur powder.
- Last thing is to serve and pop them in mouth...yummy.
2. Ensure boiled potatoes don't have much moisture else they will burst while frying.
3. You could prepare the green chutney, sweet chutney and yogurt raita in advance and keep in the fridge.
4. Adding pomegranates to the raita is optional you could just use sweetened yogurt instead.