Nawabi Chicken recipe which is creamy, rich and delicious. Murgh means Chicken and Nawabi comes from word nawab which is an Arabic term, means Mughal Emperor (ruler of states in older days). Chicken Nawabi comes from Hyderabad-India. During Ramzan (Fast) Nawabi Pulao, Nawabi Biryani, Nawabi Chicken is made quite often in large quanities. So this Nawabi Chicken is dedicated to all my Muslim friends which they can eat during Iftar 😉
Also same time I wanted to make something special for me and my hubby. Something which is rich , yummy and which goes well with naan. I thought of exploring Mughlai Cuisine as I love them a lot so does my hubby. I am not boasting about myself but the curry turned out to be a super super hit. Chicken Nawabi was super yum got over very soon with the Mughlai Naans!
There are some great ingredients which goes in preparation of Chicken Nawabi. Curd, nuts, coconut and some Indian whole spices. The combination of all these ingredients will take your dish to some other level. Eat Chicken Nawabi with rice, roti Or naan it goes will with anything.
I gotto make a lot of recipes as per my readers request. So be patient I will come up with the recipes but need some time to do them. As for now let’s make Nawabi Chicken!
Nawabi Chicken recipe and the printable version below:
- 1 kilo chicken
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 100 gms hung curd Or normal curd would also do
- 1 t/s turmeric
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 4 to 5 dry red chilies (any dry red chili would do)
- 2 tbsp poppy seed
- 3 to 4 cashew nut crushed
- 3 to 4 almond crushed
- 1 tbsp melon seeds
- 1 tbsp white sesame seed (til)
- 2 tbsp water for grinding
- 2 to 3 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) Or white butter
- 1 tbsp caraway seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onion chopped finely
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 150 gms fresh coconut grated + 1 cup boiling hot water
- 1 tbsp coriander seed powder (dhaniya)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp almond Or cashewnut powdered
- 2 to 3 boiled egg for garnishing (optional)
- few coriander leaves
- Marinate Chicken with ginger-garlic paste, yogurt and turmeric for overnight Or 3 to 4 hours in the fridge.
- Now grind all the ingredients for red paste until smooth and keep aside.
- Also grind separately all the ingredients for white paste until smooth and keep aside.
- Take a big kadai Or wok add ghee to it. Place on high heat once ghee is oil, reduce the flame. Add caraway seeds once they crackle add bay leaves. Also add sugar and saute.
- Immediately add chopped onion saute until they change to pink. It's time to add the red paste. Saute for 2 to 3 mins on medium flame. Once it starts thickening add the chicken pieces.
- Saute for 6 to 8 mins add salt. Keep stirring also add garam masala powder and dhaniya powder. Once chicken is half cooked add coconut+boiling hot water. Now reduce the flame and cook for 10 to 12 mins.
- Lastly add powdered almond Or cashewnut. Give a nice stir. Cook for another 3 mins. Check the taste add salt Or spice if required.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Decorate with boiled egg slices. Serve hot with naan Or rice.
•Also you could use almonds Or cashew powder. Just crush them and grind them into a processor for fine powder. Don't over grind them else you will have almond Or cashew butter.
•You could use less Or more red chilies as per your spice preference.
•Vegetarians can replace cottage cheese (paneer) Or tofu (soy paneer) instead of chicken.
•Usually Nawabi Chicken is served with boiled eggs. But I haven't used eggs as they were out of stock
Hi Maria just wanted to let you know that your recipes look delicious and they are made with a real passion for cooking…sumtimes just by reading the ingredients you can tell whether a dish would turn out good or not and all your recipes are amazing. Keep up the great work and keep posting newer recipes for me to try out!! Im also from mumbai, love cooking but toooo lazy to have a website or even post a comment but i thought I had to let you know that you have silent admirers like me for your incredible work!!!
Tanvi thanks a ton for your kind words also sorry for the delay in replying actually I am on a short trip hence didn’t check mails and comments. Nice to know one of my silent admirers 🙂 🙂 take care happy weekend!
my husband just loved it. i will make it once again for sure. thanks for the recipe
You are welcome Marina I am happy your hubby loved it 🙂 take care!
Maria, thanks for quick reply, cause chicken is in the fridge, and i was about to start the cooking 🙂
Marina lemme know how was it?
I didn’t find in the recipe at what moment should i add white past?
Thanks Marina for pointing out have rectified in the recipe post 🙂
suzanne Perazzini says
There is nothing I don’t like in that recipe. It looks delicious. By the way, I think you have entered the recipe twice.
Thanks Suzanne 🙂