Onion Raita Recipe is a must as a side dish with biryani, pulaos and also some chats. The combination of raita and biryani is just like a ship with a rudder. You cannot imagine a rice dish without a salad or raita in India.
This onion raita is quite a popular side dish across allover India. In restaurants this has to be accompanied with most of the dishes although the raita taste and texture may differ. Many such raitas are made like onion laccha raita, pickled onion raita, onion tomato raita, onion tomato and cucumber raita, boondi raita, pineapple raita, anar raita and beetroot raita.
Mainly the raita is made from yogurt and onion. Herbs like coriander leaves and mint leaves are added. For spice I have used green chilies, roasted cumin seed powder and black salt.
If you have any spicy gravy dish then this raita would balance the food in the right way. You could make this as a side accompaniment for any kind of food as it tastes great by itself. For variation you could add tomato and cucumber toob
This salad has to be chilled or you could even eat them at room temperature. I love them any way chilled in summer and room temparature during winter. Eating raw onion has its own benefits like reducing cholesterol, cooling for body etc so if you don’t like to eat raw onion then make this raita and eat.
Let’s make Onion Raita Recipe step by step:
1. Whisk the yogurt until soft and smooth. It should be lump free.
2. Add cumin powder, black salt, amchur powder and mix nicely.
3. Combine the rest of ingredients and mix all nicely. I don’t have a pic for this one.
4. Serve your onion raita chilled with your pulao, biryani or any grilled / tandoor dishes.
Onion Raita Recipe below:
- 100 gm chilled thick curd / yogurt / dahi
- 2 medium sized onion chopped into julienne
- 5-6 mint leaves chopped finely
- 1-2 green chilies chopped finely
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves chopped finely
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder (amchur) optional
- black salt or salt as required
- Whisk the yogurt until soft and smooth. It should be lump free.
- Add cumin powder, black salt and mix nicely.
- Combine the rest of ingredients and mix all nicely.
- Serve your onion raita chilled with your pulao, biryani or any grilled / tandoor dishes.
2. If you don't have green chilies then add red chili powder for spice.
Leave a Reply