Delicious Phool Makhana Kheer Recipe (Foxnut)! I made today Phool Makhana Kheer today on account of Ganpati Visarjan! Lotus seed are known as makhana Or makhane in India. This dessert is quite simple to make and can be easily stored in the fridge for few days.
I have slowly started certain liking towards lotus seed. One is for the taste, other is rich in minerals, calcium and healthy. Very few region in India use makhana mostly northern part of India used lotus seed in their cuisine. I have made makhana roti which is healthy and simple dish to make home. I have tried to include makhana in our staple diet chapati / roti.
In this recipe I have used ghee (clarified butter), nuts like almonds, pistachios and used cows milk. This is sugar free Phool Makhana kheer. I have used organic jaggery powder instead of sugar. The process of making this kheer is like normal kheer recipe. . Also check some Diwali Sweets here.
You could make this dessert as offering Or prasad to God. Also make them during festive occasion it taste great plus it’s healthy too. I actually wanted to post this yesterday for Onam but due to lack of time posting it today.
The best part about this kheer is you can have them warm Or chilled. I love both ways warm during winter and chilled during summer.
Makhanas are easily available at any Indian store. If it’s not available in your country don’t worry just make this kheer without them. Instead you could add grated cottage cheese.
Notes for Phool Makhana Kheer Recipe:
- It’s important to fry the makhanas in ghee before adding them to kheer.
- You could add vanilla essence instead of spice powder.
- The consistency of kheer is nor too thick nor too thin. So make them as per your preference. If you like it thicker than boil them for some more time.
Phool Makhana Kheer Recipe and printable details listed below:
- 1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee)
- 750 ml cows milk
- 1 cup makhanas / lotus seed (slightly fried in oil)
- 150 gms organic jaggery powder Or as sweetness required
- ¼th t/s green cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp milk powder
- ¼th t/s dry ginger powder (soonth)
- ¼th t/s star anise powder
- ½ cup chopped almond
- ½ up chopped pistachios
- few raisins
- a pinch of salt
- Take a small pan add little ghee. Saute makhana until they are just firm and crisp. Remove them and keep aside.
- In the same pan saute chopped almonds, pistachios and raisins.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Place on low heat.
- Once milk starts boiling add milk powder and simmer until milk is thick and reduced.
- Keep stirring in between.
- Now add jaggery powder. Combine all nicely.
- Add all spiced powder like dry ginger powder, green cardamom powder and star anise powder.
- Now add roasted makhanas, almonds, pistachios and raisins.
- Cook for another 3 to 4 mins. Lastly add a pinch of salt. Check the taste and see if more sweetness required. I prefer less sweet so add sugar as per your preference.
- Serve phool makhana kheer hot Or chilled.
Kiran @ KiranTarun.com says
Divine! Love makhana kheer this time of the year 🙂
Thanks Kiran 🙂
so tempting and creamy dessert
Thankyou Veena 🙂