Salted Buttermilk recipe is a very popular drink in summers across India. Salted Buttermilk is known as Chaas , Taak Or Mahi In India. This drink is consumed mostly after meals. It’s also known as the best coolant to stomach and heals digestive problems. Mostly Salted Buttermilk is made in northern India. Also it’s very famous in Mumbai you get them almost in all hooks and corners during summer and any other season.
Salted Buttermilk (Chaas) and Indian Sweet Yogurt Drink (Lassi) comes from the same source Curd/ Yogurt / Dahi. Lassi is purely made from thick curd and the butter of curd. Whereas Salted Buttermilk is made by adding water to yogurt and discarding the thick cream Or butter of curd by straining the whey through a muslin cloth. Later same whey is mixed with water and some spices. Chaas is a very traditional drink and is great for digestion and reduces all digestive related issues thereby cooling your body.
I have used the fat curd and not just the whey. As I love my buttermilk slightly thicker. Also in India there are varieties of buttermilk found like Salted Buttermilk, Mildly spiced Buttermilk, Very Spicy Buttermilk etc.
This buttermilk is mildly spiced and chilled. Salted Buttermilk is refreshing, cool, healthy and yummy. Cool, refreshing summer drink, low fat and healthy! Worth trying this summer. In Mumbai you get various kind of chaas mainly salted and masala chaas. Even in Pune you get lovely chaas with vadapav at Camp.
Salted Buttermilk / Chaas recipe and printable version below:
- 4 tbsp thick yogurt Or thin yogurt chilled
- ½ cup water or as consistency required
- ½ tsp roasted cumin seed powder
- ½ tsp chat masala
- black salt as per taste
- few ice cubes
- few mint leaves for garnish
- Combine all the above ingredients into a grinder except mint leaves.
- Grind until all is blended well.
- Serve in tall glass with ice cubes.
- Garnish with some roasted cumin seed powder, mint leaves.
2. Preferably add ice while grinding for chilled chaas.
3. Add water as consistency required.
4. You could chill in the fridge and have them cold.