Snowball Cookies recipe – are nothing but cookies made from flour, sugar and cardamom powder. They are dusted with powdered sugar to give a snow effect hence termed as snowball cookies. These cookies are always made in all Goan household’s during Christmas as sweets to distribute as goodies.
The sweets distributed during christmas in Goa is known as Kuswar / kuswad. There are lot of classic goan sweets made as kuswar. Sweets like dodol, doce de grao, perad (guavacheese), bebinca (bibic), kulkul, baath cake (baathica), goan neuris, nankhatai, snow ball cookies, rose cookies, fruit cake with caramel, marzipan, bolinhas, pinaca (pinarg), kormolas, kokad, milk cream and also shankarpali.
Coming back to snowballs they are baked at low temperature so it gets the light color. Also it’s just like melting moments would melt in your mouth. You might just get addicted to these and keep eating them.
The recipe is basically made with flour, sugar and clarified butter. Alternatively, you could use butter or white butter. Traditionally ghee is used for this cookie. For it to help in rising baking powder is used. It’s one of the simplest recipe yet so tasty and tempting.
If you are looking for more Goan Christmas Sweets then do check here.
Goan Snowball Cookie recipe cart below:
- 300 gm of flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ts baking powder
- 125 gm clarified butter (ghee)
- ¼th cup powdered sugar for the cookies + 2 tbsp powdered sugar for rolling the snow balls
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180º exactly fifteen mins before baking.
- Sift flour, corn flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Fold in the flour in batches.
- Also add the cardamom powder.
- Now knead into a smooth and soft dough.
- Wrap the dough with a cling film or butter paper.
- Refrigerate the dough for 30 mins.
- Now make marble sized balls.
- Place them on a greased pan giving space between them to rise.
- Bake at 160 º C for 16-18 mins or until the cookies are baked or light brown from top.
- Gently remove and dust the icing sugar or powdered sugar on them while warm.
- Once at room temperature store them into an airtight container.
- Serve the snowball cookies warm or chilled with a hot cup of tea.
2. Secondly these cookies has to be baked on a light temperature else the top would get browned and we want them to look like snowballs.
3. Please don't under bake or over-bake these cookies.