Colocasia is known as Arbi in India and also known as Taroroot. I made Sour and Sweet Colocasia today for dinner. Turned out great I made them with a hint of South Indian version. Is this Sour and Sweet Colocasia tangy, spicy Or sour actually it’s all three 🙂 Yes it will be tangy, spicy as well as sour sounds great! right
Taro Root belongs to the aroid family group of plants. Colocasia is starchy, crunchy, fleshy underground root and commonly called as corm, and being known as popular edible vegetable root, and it is very popular in Asia, India, Western countries, South America. benefits.
Colocasia comprises of carbohydrates, proteins, dietary fiber, less content of fats and zero cholesterol. It consist minerals like sodium, potassium, copper, iron, calcium, manganese, magnesium, zinc and vitamins such as Vitamin B Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, and antioxidants like. For more information on Colocasia please click this link http://ideas4health.in/health-ideas/tag/colocasia-benefits/. So do include them in your diet.
Sweet and Sour Colocasia recipe and printable version below.
- 250 gms colocasia boiled and skin peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1 tbsp clarified butter (ghee) Or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- ½ tbsp fenugreek seed (methi seed)
- 1 /2 tbsp urad dal (split black gram)
- 16 to 18 curry leaves
- 3 dried red chilies Or kashmiri chilies
- ½ t/s turmeric (haldi)
- ½ t/s asofoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp coriander seed powder (dhaniya)
- 1 tbsp cumin seed powder (jeera)
- 1 tbsp fennel seed powder
- 1 tbsp chat masala
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- ½ tbsp sugar
- sea salt as per taste
- Firstly boil the colocasia (arbi) for 15 to 20 mins. Allow to cool and peel off their skin. Chop them into cubes Or small squares. Take a mixing bowl and combine chopped colocasia and vinegar. Give a nice mix with a spoon. Set aside for 10 to 15 mins.
- Take a pan and place on medium fire. Add ghee Or coconut oil to it. Once oil is hot put cumin seed, mustard seed, red chilies, half of curry leaves, urad dal, fenugreek seed and hing.
- Reduce the flame once seeds start crackling. Add sugar to it. It's time to add the colocasia. You have a choice you could discard the vinegar Or add them to the pan. I added them.
- Give a nice stir to it. Add turmeric, fennel seed powder, cumin seed powder, fennel seed powder, red chili powder and chat masala. Place a lid with some water over it. Keep the heat on medium mode. Cook covered for 5 mins. Keep stirring in between.
- Now uncover it and cook on high flame for another 5 to 7 mins. Check with a knife if it goes smoothly in the colocasia that means it's cooked if not cooked keep for some more time.
- Lastly add rest of curry leaves and sea salt for seasoning.
- Your Sour and Sweet Colocasia is ready to be served. Serve hot with roti Or rice.
2.Chat masalas are available at all Indian stores.