Murgh Badami Recipe or Curried Chicken in almond gravy is a delicious affair. Yogurt Almond Chicken Curry reigns from Mughlai Cuisine. Chicken is known as Murgh and Almonds as Badam in India hence the name Murgh Badami. Chicken is infused in yogurt and almond powder or paste. We had a wholesome meal last weekend with Chicken curry and steamed rice. My hubby drooled over the curry and even our friend loved them. The Curry got over at the dinner itself.
So far I have attempted some Mughlai version and gonna attempt some more version. I am falling in love with Mughlai cuisine because it’s rich, creamy, delicious and is super yum. I have tried Mughali Chicken Curry, Chicken Nawabi both tasted fabulous. Vegetarians could replace chicken with cottage cheese (paneer) Or potatoes.
There are lot of version to make Murgh Badami. I have made an attempt to make the curry more healthier and nutritious by adding flax seed, sun flower seed, sesame seed, melon seed and poppy seed. These seeds have also added flavor to my curry. The curry is spicy, healthy, yummy and tastes great with naan Or rice.
My new mantra to life is to stay positive, calm, spontaneous, go with the flow, have fun, help others, live life to the fullest, laugh even more, live for moment and enjoy! Guess that’s too many things but to do with awareness, my pace and totality.
- You could just use almond powder instead of other seed.
- Vegetarians could use cottage cheese Or potatoes instead of meat.
- Replace cream with milk to make it low fat.
- Adding water is as per consistency required. I haven’t added any water instead I added little bit of more cream.
Yogurt Almond Chicken Curry recipe and printable version below:
- 1.5 tbsp oil Or butter Or clarified butter ( I used oil+butter)
- 500 gms chicken pieces
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 dried red chilies
- 2 tbsp peppercorn
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 15 to 16 almonds
- 1.5 tbsp melon seed (magaj)
- 1.5 tbsp white sesame seed (til)
- 1 tbsp poppy seed (khuskhus)
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 1 tbsp sunflower seed (optional)
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp caraway seed
- 2 medium sized onion chopped into rings
- 1 tbsp coriander seed powder (dhaniya)
- 6 green cardamom
- 1 t/s turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp fennel seed powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seed powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp biryani masala powder
- ½ tbsp red chili powder
- 150 gms yogurt
- 2 medium sized potato chopped into big chunks
- 2 tbsp cream
- 2 green chilies cut into split
- water ½ cup Or as consistency required
- salt as per taste
- few coriander leaves for garnish
- Firstly wash chicken and make incision with a knife. Combine ginger-garlic paste, black pepper, red chili and lime juice+salt. Grind into a processor until smooth paste is formed. Rub this paste all over the chicken. Marinate for an hour Or overnight into the fridge.
- Take a pan and saute almonds, sesame seed, poppy seed, melon seed, desiccated coconut, flax seed and sun flower seed for about 2 to 3 mins on low flame. Now grind them into a processor until smooth mixture is formed. Add little water if required. Keep this mixture aside.
- Heat oil in a big vessel. Once oil is hot saute onion rings. Fry onion until light brown in color. Take them out and place on absorbent napkin. In the same oil add caraway seed. Once they crackle add coriander seed powder and cardamom. Saute for a minute. Add the marinated chicken pieces and potatoes.
- Stir fry for 7 to 8 mins on medium heat. Add turmeric and yogurt. Combine all nicely. Simmer for another 3 to 4 mins. Cover with a lid and allow to cook. Now add garam masala + biryani masala powder + red chili powder. Stir all nicely.
- Add half of the fried onion, cream, salt, green chilies and the almond mixture. Give a nice stir. Cover and cook until potatoes are cooked. Finally add cumin seed + fennel seed powder and water as consistency required.
- Taste and check if salt Or spice required. Add salt Or spices if required. Garnish with rest of fried onion and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with naan, roti Or rice.