Today’s spice is none other than Cinnamon Spice also known as Cassia. Cinnamon Spice is one of the oldest spice also mentioned in Bible. Cinnamon Spice is one of the richest and magical spice. Cinnamon comes majorly from Sri Lanka also grown in most of Asian countries now. Cinnamon Spice has some miraculous healing properties and used a lot in Indian food specially in pulaos and biryanis. In Western countries Cinnamon Spice powder is used for desserts and sweets.
What is Cinnamon and what is Cassia?
Cinnamon spice is obtained from the inner bark of tree. Cinnamon Spice is from Lauraceae family. Cinnamon tree is grown for few years and then used for harvesting purpose.
Cassia is a type of cinnamon mostly comes from Indonesia. Cassia is generally a thicker bark with dark reddish-brown color. Cassia also known Chinese cinnamon is a tree that has bark similar to that of cinnamon but with a rather pungent odour.
How does Cinnamon spice taste?
Cinnamon spice taste is strong, pungent and hint of sweetness. Cinnamon spice is also strongly aromatic hence used as whole Garam Masala Or in powder form.
How to buy Cinnamon spice?
Cinnamon spice which comes from Ceylon is the best kind of cinnamon. Mostly Cassia is sold in shops. So buy Cinnamon spice which is fresh, gives sweet aroma and check the expiry date. Best would be to buy from trusted vendor, organic shop, spice garden etc. Cinnamon powder is also available best would be to make the Cinnamon spice powder home. Store them too in a dry airtight container. You could keep Cinnamon spice and Cinnamon powder into the fridge for a longer life shell.
How to store Cinnamon spice?
Store Cinnamon spice into a dry airtight container Or box away from sunlight. It lasts upto 7 months once the Cinnamon spice stops giving sweet aroma it’s time to discard them.
Benefits of Cinnamon spice:
- Cinnamon spice is used for treating Diabetes 2.
- Cinnamon spice helps in fighting oral and dental problems.
- Cinnamon spice is also used as mosquito repellent.
- Cinnamon Oil is known as magic oil and is used for healing arthritis, joint pains and any other muscle pain.
- Cinnamon spice also fights cancer and known to have anti fungal properties.
- Cinnamon helps controlling blood sugar which is great for weight loss.
A word of Warning:
- It’s okay to have a pinch Or mild dose of cinnamon. But don’t have Cinnamon spice too much in quantity unless prescribed by the Doctor. As Cinnamon spice is a strong antibiotic and consumption of too much may cause problems and disorders so do bear this is mind.
Hope this information helps you do share your thoughts on this!