Easy Eggless Gingerbread Cookies Recipe – prepared with flour, jaggery syrup, spiced with dry ginger powder, ginger juice other spices and other flavor. Be it gingerbread or gingerbread cookies your house would be filled with aroma and the flavor it awesome. Don’t wait to eat but try to experience yourself 😉 Best way to warm yourself with eggless gingerbread cookies!
I have used jaggery and water syrup instead of store bought molasses. I have used all purpose flour and wheat flour into 1:1 proportion. However you could use all purpose flour instead of wheat flour.
What makes these cookies different are the molasses and spices used. Spice mix like dry ginger powder, clove powder, nutmeg powder and cinnamon powder is used. Since they are ginger cookie the quantity of ginger powder is slightly more than the rest of spice powder. Also have added fresh ginger juice for more ginger flavor and taste. Some also add honey instead of molasses however refrain from cooking or baking honey. As they say honey should be eaten at room temperature nor hot nor cold in ayurveda. I have used jaggery syrup instead of molasses.
Had made these cookies for distributing as goodies to my extended family my friend’s as leaving out of station soon. They all loved them and relished and I was quite happy looking at their cheerful faces and enjoying the cookies. Make these cookies quite often but never posted as was waiting for the ginger man mould. Finally placed order online and got them so quickly posted.
To be honest I am quite lazy when comes to icing or frosting cakes or cookies. These icing on gingerbread man cookies were done my my friend’s son hence they look so cute and adorable. I helped him making the icing and he decorated them. Although I am not too fond of icing allowed the enthusiastic kid to pipe on few cookies.
Let’s make Eggless Gingerbread Cookies Recipe:
1. Heat a pan with water and grated jaggery.
2. Keep stirring and simmer until the mixture thickens. Switch off the gas and place aside.
3. Sift the flour, whole wheat flour, spice powder, salt, rice flour, baking powder, salt if using and cooking soda.
4. Cream butter and sugar until they appear light and fluffy.
5. Now add the jaggery syrup and beat again.
6. Beat until they all mix well.
7. Fold the sifted flour and add flour into 2 batches.
8. Once the first batch is folded add the second batch of sifted flour.
9. Use your hand to get the dough together. But ensure you don’t over-mix the dough. Just gently get them together.
10. If the dough is too sticky then add some flour if too dry then add milk.
11.Freeze the dough for 10 mins then roll them with a pin roller.
12. Cut them with ginger-man cookie cutter. Alternatively you could make small balls and gently flatten them.
13. Place them on a greased plate or dish.
14. Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 16-17 mins or until the edges turn light brown in color.
15. Allow the cookies to cool and store them into an air-tight container.
16. If you wish you could use your own favorite icing on them however it’s optional. Serve your gingerbread man cookies with tea or coffee.
Eggless Gingerbread Cookies Recipe and printable version below.
- 75 gm all purpose flour
- 75 gm whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- ¼th tsp cooking soda
- ¼th tsp baking powder
- ¼th tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼th tsp clove powder
- ¼th tsp nutmeg powder
- 1.5 tsp dry ginger powder
- 110 gm butter
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger juice (squeeze grated juice)
- ⅓ rd cup molasses or jaggery syrup (recipe below)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp milk only if required
- 2 cups grated jaggery ( I have used Goan pyramid jaggery)
- 1.5 cup water
- Heat a pan with water and grated jaggery.
- Keep stirring and simmer until the mixture thickens. Switch off the gas and place aside.
- Sift the flour, whole wheat flour, spice powder, salt, rice flour, baking powder, salt if using and cooking soda.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and beat until they blend well.
- Fold the sifted flour.
- Add flour into 2 batches.
- Use your hand to get the dough together. But ensure you don't over-mix the dough. Just gently get them together.
- If the dough is too sticky then add some flour if too dry then add milk.
- Freeze the dough for 10 mins then roll them with a pin roller. Dust some flour before rolling them.
- Cut them with ginger-man cookie cutter. Alternatively you could make small balls and gently flatten them.
- Place them on a greased plate or dish.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 16-17 mins or until the edges turn light brown in color.
- Allow the cookies to cool and store them into an air-tight container.
- If you wish you could use your own favorite icing on them however it's optional. Serve your gingerbread man cookies with tea or coffee.
2. Adding rice flour gives a nice crunch to the cookies.
3. You could use store bought molasses and if they are too sweet then take care while adding sugar. If there is a need then only add sugar.
4. Give any shape your desire round, star, square etc to your cookies.
I just came across your website and was never able to eat these cookies as they are made with eggs.
These turned out lovely!!
Thank you so much and keep posting such eggless versions!
Thanks Shugar for your kind and honest words. Glad you liked the gingerbread cookies.
Ritu Joshi says
Hi just wanted to know how is the texture of gingerbread cookies?
Its slightly crispy then soft.
Hi Maria. Just one doubt. I had tried making something similar and eggless earlier but the dough hardened up for the second batch of cookies. So shud i roll out all the cookies at one go? The gur solidifies otherwise. Secondly can i use readymade liquid gur available in the stores?
Yes you can make all cookies at one go. The method I used for jaggery didn’t give me any issues. I am not sure about the liquid gur you get outside. Hope this information helps you, thanks.
Sweta (My Indian Dietitian) says
What a great recipe for those who are allergic to eggs-they can still enjoy the spirit of Christmas with these!
Thankyou so much Sweta 🙂