I have been eating boiled eggs since my childhood and now my hubby also loves eggs. Today I will share How to boil eggs perfectly everytime? not that I was perfect but I have mastered the art of boiling eggs. Boiling eggs isn’t a rocket science just a few basic thumb-rules and your egg will be boiled to perfection.
Earlier when I used to boil eggs. I used to see a greyish color over the eggs. This happens if you over heat Or over boil eggs. Also if your egg is under-cooked you waste your time by boiling it again.
Also sometimes eggs crack Or the whites ooze out while boiling. It happens again due to temperature Or over heating. Let’s check the the thumb-rules for boiling eggs.
- Refrigerating Eggs: Eggs which are older are better however I just don’t bother if eggs are new Or old. Just get them rinse them water and refrigerate. Eggs when cold are better to boil. You could keep eggs out at room temperature if using for baking purpose else you could refrigerate them.
- How to Boil: Place eggs on your pan add enough water just to cover the eggs about an inch high. Don’t put heaps of water as this will not generate enough heat and your eggs will take a longer time to cook and may crack too. Add 1 t/s salt in the water. Boil for exactly fifteen mins on slow fire. Set your timer and increase the heat to high for last 2 mins. Switch off the gas. Let the egg rest in it for 2 mins more. Now pour ice cold water Or cold tap water over it. Allow the eggs to rest in it for 2 mins. Just check if the water is heated throw that water and add cold water. Remove the shells gently with your finger tips and not nails. Alternatively once the water starts bubbling and starts rising it’s and indication your eggs have almost boiled.
- For Larger eggs: Boil for 17 mins and follow the same procedure as above.
It’s important to cook your egg perfectly for salad, burgers, curries etc. I love to make egg curries and some of my egg curries / recipes are listed below Quick Egg Curry Indian, Hot and Spicy Anda Curry and Indian Egg Masala Dry Recipe.
Hope this information helps you in making perfect boiled eggs!
Food Frenzy Digest says
Congratulations! We wanted to inform you that this post has been selected as a Featured Archive Post on our site for the month of April 2014!
Thanks for the notification 🙂
Alan Karp says
Here is a foolproof method for hard cooked large eggs:
1. remove eggs from frig, place in small saucepan, add cool water to cover by 1 inch.
2. place on stove, bring to a boil, and immediately cover and turn off the burner.
3. let sit, covered, exactly 71/2 minutes (this will vary a bit for small or jumbo eggs).
4. drain, shock in cold water, and peel under cold, running tap water.
This will produce perfectly cooked large egg.
Thanks Alan 🙂 for your inputs 🙂
Good way you explained, even I use to have the problem of egg cracking, so I put salt and a capful of vinegar into the egg and water before it starts boiling, so even if your egg cracks, it will not allow the yellow part to come out, u can try this also, hope you didnt mind me telling you.
Thanks for your inputs Sunita and why should I mind. It’s good thing you shared my readers can benefit take care.
Suzanne Perazzini says
I usually boil them for 10 minutes starting with cold water. Maybe the cold water would add up to 15 minutes in hotter water. I don’t usually have any trouble boiling them hard but I’m not so great with getting the soft boiled eggs right.
Thanks Suzanne 🙂