Kokam Sherbet Recipe – Kokam sherbet is one of the most refreshing drink on earth! Kokam Sherbet is cool and beat’s heat. Have a glass of Kokam Sherbet to keep heat at bay. Kokam is known as Garcinia Indica it’s a deep purple colored fruit. Kokam gives tangy flavor and is used as spice in lot of Indian Cuisine specially in Goan and Malvan Cuisine. I wonder what took me so long to post this awesome appetizer Kokam Sherbet!…. anyways I am glad I am finally sharing this with you guys 🙂
Kokam has lot of benefits it’s got antioxidant properties. It’s good for digestive system and also known to relieve from acidity and other gastric problems. Kokam reduces fever and allergic reactions. Kokam butter is used to treat dry, chapped and sensitive skin. So do include kokam in your diet.
If kokam is not available in your location. Buy the readymade kokam juice which is easily available in the market. Generally post heavy lunch in Goa and Malvan region people drink kokam sherbet as a appetizer. This helps to digest the food quickly. I am planning to make a big bottle of Kokam Sherbet as summer is closeby. Also I would love to sip on such heavenly god gift called kokam.
The best part is you can store this sherbet in your fridge. Serve to your guest Or yourself when required. I used to make kokam sherbet when I was a child. When I grew up I always bought Kokam Sherbet from shops. Although yesterday I was feeling acidic and pukish so I thought of making Kokam Sherbet home. I am thankful to my sickness else wouldn’t had gone back to my childhood to make this lovely drink 😉
Kokam sherbet recipe step by step below:
- Soak kokam in about 1/2 cup water for about an hour Or overnight.
2. Combine kokam plus water and all the ingredients except mint leaves. Grind them into a processor until smooth paste is formed. Add rest of water.
3. Strain this mixture on a mesh strainer Or cloth. Squeeze the lefttover pulp. Discard the pulp. Collect this syrup in a bottle.
4. Add mint leaves and store in the fridge. While serving add about 2 tbsp kokam sherbet and water. Mix well and don’t forget to add ice cubes.
5. Now relish this summer drink.
- 10 to 12 kokam
- 1 cup water
- 10 tbsp sugar
- 1 t/s citric acid / lime juice
- a pinch of salt
- 1 t/s fennel seed powder
- 1 t/s cumin seed powder
- 1 tbsp chat masala
- a pinch of hing (asofoetida)
- few mint leaves
- Soak kokam in about ½ cup water for about an hour Or overnight.
- Combine kokam plus water and all the ingredients except mint leaves. Grind them into a processor until smooth paste is formed. Add rest of water.
- Strain this mixture on a mesh strainer Or cloth. Squeeze the lefttover pulp. Discard the pulp. Collect this syrup in a bottle.
- Add mint leaves and store in the fridge. While serving add about 2 tbsp kokam sherbet and water. Mix well and don't forget to add ice cubes.
- Now relish this summer drink.
2. It's important to strain this pulp Or you will have all the pulp and skin floating on your drink.
3. These are my choice of spices if you don't like them please don't add. However chat masala gives a unique flavor to the drink.
4. Just got a thought you can try Kokam Martini. Wish I could have thought this before. Just rub some salt on the edges/rim of the serving glass. Pour the kokam sherbet in it. Serve with mint and icecubes.