Back to basics with classic chocolate sponge cake recipe! This Chocolate sponge cake has no butter, no oil, no milk yet spongy, airy, fluffy and delicious cake. I love making simple cakes and they taste the best. Moreover this sponge cake recipe has less calories as no fats. I am gonna try more versions of sponge cake soon.
The more richer your cake is the more fats and calories they have. Specially when you add whipped cream for frosting. Once in a while it’s okay to indulge in fancy cakes. But if you wanna make back home the simpler the cake the better for you. If you ask me the difference between sponge and chiffon cakes are sponge are airy and no oil Or butter and are lighter cakes. Whereas chiffon cakes have some butter Or fats and is little dense than sponge cakes.
Now that doesn’t mean I am stopping you from trying. I just gave a word of caution. I also love baking variety of cakes. Since I have started blogging have bakes ample variety of cakes. Baking is an art the more you bake, the more you learn, the better you get and so your recipes. You could check some of cake I tried like Eggless Tresleches Cake, Eggless Cardamom Cream Cake, Basic Chocolate Chiffon Cake, Low Fat Victoria Sponge Cake and Eggless Peanut Butter Cake.
I had baked this special cake for my maid’ sister’s birthday. I was quite happy and delightful to make this airy cake for them. I had made a heart shaped cake for her which look very elegant. However I didn’t get a chance to click heart shaped cake. But was wiser had kept some batter extra for clicking pics and sharing the post with you.
Traditionally sponge cakes were made this way only had no oil or fats. Ancient people used to not even add baking powder. However since these are modern days so it’s better to take benefit of ingredients and technology around us.
Some things you got to be careful while making this cake. It’s important that you don’t over-beat the cake batter. Also egg yolks and whites are completely separated. Ensure the yolks don’t have whites and the whites don’t have yolks. Else they will not be beaten nicely which will impact your cake.
Notess for Basic Chocolate Sponge Cake:
- As I mentioned earlier don’t over-mix the egg whites and the cake batter.
- Once you make the cake batter immediately bake them for better result.
- You could skip cocoa powder if you want plain sponge cake.
- It’s important that the beater is dry before beating egg whites.
- I have used hersheys chocolate syrup you could make your own frosting Or just eat the cake the way it is.
- You could also add cream of tartar about 1 tbsp while beating egg whites this is optional.
Basic Chocolate Sponge Cake Recipe details listed below:
- 4 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 150 gms flour
- 150 gms brown sugar / sugar ( i used organic sugar)
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 t/s salt
- 1 t/s baking powder
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder + 1 tbsp hot boiling water
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract Or essence
- Preheat oven at 170°C exactly ten minutes before baking. Grease a round pan with parchment Or butter paper at the bottom.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt and cornflour. Place them aside.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites. Place the yolks and whites in separate mixing bowls.
- Add half sugar to the yolks. Take an electric beater and beat on high speed until they are light, fluffy and creamy.
- Now beat the egg whites with the rest of sugar on high speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Fold sifted dry ingredients into batches of three into yolk-sugar mixture. Also add vanilla extract.
- Lastly fold the beaten egg whites gently into the mixture. Please don't over-mix it else the result would be stiff cake.
- Pour the batter gently over the greased, lined pan. Bake at 170°C for 30-35 mins Or until skewer comes out clean from the center-bottom of the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool down for 5-7 mins. Gently unmould the cake remove the parchment paper. Dust some cocoa powder and icing sugar over the cake.
- Serve cake hot Or chilled with some hersheys chocolate sauce.