Chicken masala curry recipe is a comfort meal on any rainy day! This chicken masala curry recipe is made with whole indian spices, yogurt, chicken, coconut, some herbs and veggies.
To be honest my hubby and the guests home loved this curry. It’s simple, earthy yet a delicious curry. Chicken masala curry recipe goes well with rice, roti, pao, garam masala rice or jeera rice. I had clubbed chicken curry with mild spiced peas pulao.
You would require whole indian spices (garam masala) for this chicken curry. The whole spices gives a great flavor and aroma to the curry. In case whole spices are not available in your region not to worry replace with garam masala powder.
I usually make a lot of different kind of chicken curry but this one is the simplest one. You could check some more chicken recipes like butter chicken, tandoori chicken, chicken biryani. mughlai chicken korma and mughlai chicken masala.
The chicken masala curry recipe is slightly tangy because of yogurt and tomatoes, slightly warm and spicy due to spices. We loved the curry back home with tandoori roti and peas pulao.
Chicken masala curry recipe below:
- 750 gm chicken with bones or without bones
- 2 tbsp curd
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp ghee + 1 tbsp oil
- 4 medium sized onion julienne
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 3-4 green cardamom
- 1 black cardamom (moti elaichi)
- 2 stone flower (dagadphool)
- 10 peppercorn
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 mace
- 1 t/s cumin seed
- ¼ th cup coriander leaves
- 3-4 mint leaves
- 1 t/s caraway seed
- 2 t/s coriander seed
- 2 tbsp fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 t/s garam masala powder
- ¼ t/s turmeric powder
- 2 tomatoes chopped finely
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder
- few more coriander leaves for garnish
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped into squares
- 2 cups water
- 1 t/s sugar
- salt as per taste
- Marinate the chicken with ginger-garlic paste, curd and some salt for 20 mins.
- Take a deep pan add ½ tbsp oil + 1 tbsp ghee. Once hot add all whole ground spices like peppercorn, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, mace, cumin seed, stone flower, bay leaves, fresh grated coconut and coriander seed.
- Saute until they leave aroma. Switch off the gas. Remove the fried spices.
- In the same pan add little more oil and fry the onion until light brown in color.
- Combine fried spices, fried onion, coriander leaves and mint leaves into a grinder.
- Grind until smooth paste is formed add little water if required.
- Take the same pan add rest of oil and ghee.
- Once hot saute caraway seeds and add the grounded paste, sugar.
- Saute for 2 mins then add tomatoes, marinated chicken, potatoes, garam masala powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and salt.
- Cook covered for 3-4 mins then add water as per consistency required.
- Simmer until the potatoes are cooked.
- Check the taste and alter any spices if required.
- Lastly add some roasted cumin powder and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the chicken masala curry hot with rice, roti or pao.
2.Alter spices as per your preference.
3.You could add mutton or paneer instead of chicken.
4. If you don't find whole spices then use 2 t/s of garam masala powder instead.