Chinese five spice powder recipe – this is a powder made from five spices which are sichuan pepper, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and fennel seed. Mainly this spice mix has 5 basic flavors of Chinese cooking which are sour, salty, sweet, bitter and pungent.
The main reason for this spice mix is it help’s the yin and yang in food. This powder could be stored for a long time. They are used for seasoning chicken, meat etc and also five spiced rice is made from this spice mix. Although you get them in store but preferably make them homes. As it’s easy to make and you know what ingredient’s have you added.
The main ingredient required for this spice powder is sichuan pepper also known as Trifal or Teppal click here to know more. Without this spice you won’t get the authentic taste so try to get hold of this spice. Teppal is mostly used in Goan, Mangalore and Konkan Cuisine. They are added in fish curries for their unique flavor. I have attached a picture below what does teppal or sichuan pepper looks like.
Five spice powder is used in Cantonese cuisine in China. Although it’s not used daily in their household but it’s one of the popular spice mixes from Chinese cuisine.
How to make step by step Chinese Five spice powder recipe:
- Just roast all the ingredient’s except salt for a minute on low heat.
2. Combine into a dry grinder and ground until a fine powder is formed.
3. Allow to come to room temperature then store in an air-tight bottle or container.
4. If the powder appears a little coarse that’s fine.
Chinese Five Spice Powder recipe card below:
- 4-5 cinnamon sticks
- 4-5 cloves
- 7-8 star anise
- 2 tsp sichuan pepper (teppal or trifal)
- 1 tbsp fennel seed
- 1 tsp salt
- Just roast all the ingredient's except salt for a minute on low heat.
- Combine into a dry grinder and ground until fine powder is formed.
- Allow to come to room temperature then store into an air-tight bottle or container.
2. Always allow the spice powder to cool down before storage.