Chocolate Ginger Bread recipe made easy yet yummy! How can be Christmas be complete without making Chocolate Ginger Bread. What is Ginger Bread? It’s a bread made with dried ginger, molasses Or honey and spices like cinnamon and clove. Please don’t ask me why is it called bread and not cake??? I also don’t know. I have just added a dash of cocoa to make it my way. As chocolate + ginger + spices makes this bread just heavenly.
Further I have frosted Chocolate Ginger Bread with whipped cream and some colorful candies. This cake has a great crunch outside and soft from within. Frosting is optional I wanted the cake to look appealing and colorful hence made the frosting. If you want to give this cake to your kids then make it appealing. As ginger and cinnamon are great for your body during winters it’s great to for your kids.
To my surprise my hubby loved this combo. He isn’t fond of dark chocolate caked he finds any chocolate cake bitter. Whereas I love chocolate cakes the darker the better. My mom had visited me she loved the cake and my friends and neighbors also relished it. I always do some sample testing once I bake my goodies. So I am completely satisfied before sharing the recipe with everyone.
If you aren’t a chocolate fan then skip the cocoa powder. Follow the rest of ingredients and bake plain ginger cake. This dessert goes well with a hot cup of tea Or coffee. Also I have added some rum to give an extra boost and flavor to this cake. Ginger Bread is mostly made along with other sweets during Christmas Eve.
Chocolate Ginger Bread recipe below:
- 225 gms flour
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 t/s salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 200 gms unsalted butter / clarified butter
- 2 tbsp rum (optional)
- 125 gms caster sugar / brown sugar / powdered sugar
- 3 heaped tbsp of cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp honey Or molasses
- 1 tbsp dry ginger powder (soonth)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tbsp clove powder
- Preheat oven at 180° exactly twenty mins before baking. Grease round pan with butter and place a parchment paper.
- Sift flour, corn flour, salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, dry ginger powder, cinnamon powder and clove powder.
- Cream butter and sugar into a mixing bowl until soft and fluffy.
- Make a small well in the sifted flour add beaten butter and sugar mixture. Add the eggs, honey and rum. Fold the batter gently.
- Bake at 180°C for 50 mins to an hour Or until the skewer comes out clean.
- It's important to allow the cake to cool down completely before inverting the pan. Best would be to place in the fridge and after 2 to 3 hrs invert the pan.
- In the meanwhile prepare whipped cream. Spread all over the cake and decorate with colorful candies.
- Slice and serve the chocolate ginger bread warm Or chilled.
2. Once the cake is baked keep in the oven only for some more time. This would help in giving a nice crusty exterior to your cake.