This is another coastal special called as Clams Curry Recipe. In other words its a konkani clams curry with coconut which is hot and spicy. We have used fresh coconut as well as dry roasted coconut. The dish is tempting delicious when clubbed with steamed rice. I am grateful to my mom for making this tasty, mouthwatering recipe and we all enjoyed in the rains! Clams are also known as tisryo or shimpi in India.
This recipe is a combo of Konkan and Goan cuisine. So can be called as cocktail of both region. There are lot of coastal recipes and variations some you can find on this link. Sea food is hot favorite of many people me too love sea food. Be it prawns, lobsters, crabs, mussels or fish I love to binge on them. Being bought up in a goan family plus my dad is also from kerala again a coastal region. So to eat sea food is quite natural for me and also to cook some 🙂
Again clams have been my personal favorite since childhood. Mostly avoid eating seafood in summer as it gives lot of heat in our body. Its alright to eat in rains and winter. Since its drizzling in India mussels are great to eat this time of the year.
Let’s make Clams Curry Recipe step by step:
1. Firstly buy fresh clams and slit them from center.
2. Wash them gently in water for 3 to 4 times. Now immerse them in some water and keep aside. While cooking use this water don’t throw them.
3. Take a pan add oil and saute spices numbered 3 to 7 (cinnamon, pepper, mace, cloves).
4. Now add 1 chopped onion into it. Saute for a 3 to 4 mins on medium flame.
5. Saute grated coconut until light brown in color.
6. Roast dry coconut and keep it aside. Chop them into small cubes.
7. Combine roasted onion, roasted dry coconut, roasted fresh coconut, roasted spices, garlic cloves, chopped ginger, few coriander leaves and fennel powder.
8. Grind all into a processor until smooth paste is formed. Keep it aside.
9. Chop drumsticks, potatoes, tomatoes and keep aside.
11. Add spices from 19 to 22 (turmeric, red chili powder, malvani masala, dhaniya powder).
12. Quickly add tomatoes and stir well for about 2 to 3 mins.
13. Its time to add paste. Mix all of them well for a minute.
14. Add cleaned mussels and combine all.
15. Now add chopped potatoes and drumsticks.
16. Mix all of them nicely.
17. Add water as consistency desired.
18. Finally add salt as per taste.
19. Keep it semi covered with a lid for another 5 to 6 mins until potatoes are cooked.
20. Once potatoes are cooked that means your clams curry is ready. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with steamed rice Or bread.
Clams Curry Recipe below:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 bunch of clams Or 400 gms clams
- 2 inch cinnamon sticks
- 1 green cardamom
- 3 to 4 peppercorn
- 3 to 4 clove
- 1 mace
- 2 onion (one for paste other one for curry)
- 100 gms dry coconut
- 6 tbsp grated fresh coconut
- 2 tbsp Fennel Powder
- 4 to 5 strands of coriander leaves
- 10 to 12 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 5 to 6 green chilies (you could use more if more spice required)
- 4 to 5 drumsticks
- 1 potato chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 t/s turmeric
- 2 tbsp malvani masala
- 1.5 tbsp dhaniya powder (coriander seed)
- 1.5 tbsp red chili powder
- 1.5 cup water Or as consistency required
- salt as per taste
- Firstly buy fresh clams cut them from center.
- Wash them gently in water for 3 to 4 times. Now immerse them in some water and keep aside. While cooking use this water don't throw them.
- Take a pan add oil and saute spices numbered 3 to 7 (cinnamon, pepper, mace, cloves).
- Now add 1 chopped onion into it. Saute for a 3 to 4 mins on medium flame.
- Saute grated coconut until light brown in color.
- Roast dry coconut and keep it aside. Chop them into small cubes.
- Combine roasted onion, roasted dry coconut, roasted fresh coconut, roasted spices, garlic cloves, chopped ginger, few coriander leaves and fennel powder.
- Grind all into a processor until smooth paste is formed. Keep it aside.
- Chop drumsticks, potatoes, tomatoes and keep aside.
- Take a big wok Or vessel add oil. Once hot saute the rest of onion for 2 mins on low heat.
- Add spices from 19 to 22 (turmeric, red chili powder, malvani masala, dhaniya powder).
- Quickly add tomatoes and stir well for about 2 to 3 mins.
- Its time to add paste. Mix all of them well for a minute.
- Add cleaned mussels and combine all.
- Now add chopped potatoes and drumsticks.
- Mix all of them nicely.
- Add water as consistency desired.
- Finally add salt as per taste.
- Keep it semi covered with a lid for another 5 to 6 mins until potatoes are cooked.
- Once potatoes are cooked that means your clams curry is ready.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice Or bread.
2. Once the mussels are washed for 3 to 4 times. Keep them immersed in some water. Now use this water for your curry. This will enhance and give nice flavor to your curry.
3. I have used whole dry coconut f its not available you could use desiccated toasted coconut.
You could make similar curry for crabs however keep the consistency thick add less water.
plasterer bristol says
This sounds so delicious. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
welcome Simon 🙂
Kosa asa? Xinane khup borem .
Muito obrigada. VIVA GOA.
Maria says you are good. I am a bone deep Goan born bred cooked and lived in Goa most of my life,
I make the same except with greenmassala. But this hot style is good too.
Thankyou so much Maria 🙂
Hey Maria I am good, Dev borem Karo thankyou so much.
I grew up in Goa and we had a neighbor who made this curry. I was 11yrs old and I remember the taste but have never been able to reproduce it. I am so excited to see this recipe. I can almost taste it and am sure this will have the authentic taste I’ve missed for so long. I’m definitely going to try this out. Now I need to find clams here is Chicago. Thanks so much for the recipe.
You are welcome Shubha 🙂 I also miss my mom’s food post marriage. I know how it is when you miss a certain kind of food when you just remember your mouth starts watering. Surely try and keep me updated thankyou so much.
Tried it and did not find malvani
Linda Pinto says
What is malvani masala please?
Linda malvani masala is readymade packet of masala available readily at all stores.
Linda Pinto says
Maria – I live in New Zealand – can’t find ready made malvani masala here. Would garam masal be used as a substitute?
Linda you could replace with garam masala powder that should be fine … Keep me posted thanks.
colour looks fantastic but when i cook it turns black something went wrong cant figureout
Peter I guess you probably roasting the spices Or onion for a long time else the color shouldn’t change to black. Lemme know.
Awwwwsome as always.
Dev bore koru.
Thanks a ton Darshan 🙂 god bless you too!
“Tis-rya Coddi” wow , poi-lya-ruch jibek udok suttaa. “Moskacho Sango” (drumsticks) give it that extra flavour.
Viva Goa and Goan reciepies.
Thanks Darshan 🙂 try kor and tell me how were they ?
Spicie Foodie says
Mussels and curry are two of my favorite things in the world. All of your curry recipes always look and sound so delicious. Thanks for participating in the giveaway:)
Thanks a ton its my pleasure to participate. Nice to know your favorites.
With delicious seafood like this, you have me missing Florida. This dish has some wonderful hearty flavors-makes me very hungry. Thanks for sharing this lovely item!
Nice to see you back thanks a to dear do try them also if you ever come to India do let me know will surely call you for seafood my home.
What a gorgeous dish! Great photos and looks delicious! 🙂
Thanks Kelly thanks a ton do try them!