Dahi Batata Puri Recipe – from the streets of Mumbai. The recipe is quite similar to sev puri. There is a slight difference in dahi batata puri it consist’s of chilled yogurt and made in puffed crisp puris. To add onion, tomatoes are optional to this dish I haven’t added them. Whereas sev puri are made from flat, crisp puris and consist of onion, tomatoes, peanuts and masala dal.
To eat dahi batata puri in summers is a delight. As yogurt is a good coolant and tastes great with this kind of chat. I wish I could have a bite now during wee hours of night. I had made this for my friend who had come to visit me. She loved the dahi batata puris and relished them.
To make dahi batata puri is easy. Make the two main chutney which are sweet (meetha) chutney and spicy (teekha) chutney in advance. Buy the puffed puris and nylon sev from store. The main ingredient is chilled yogurt and boiled potatoes. Rest is assembling and eating.
Eat the dahi batata puri as soon as you make else it would get soggy soon. I have added some chopped raw mangoes to make them tangy which is optional. For variation you could add some roasted masala dal and roasted peanuts. If you want to make this healthy for your kids or family add some boiled mung sprouts.
If you are looking for more mumbai streetfood recipes then check sev puri, ragda patties, pani puri, vada pav, kanda bhaji pav, mumbai toast sandwich, pav bhaji, puri bhaji, nimbu pani and cutting chai.
Dahi Batata Puri Recipe card below:
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 cup of mint leaves (pudina)
- 1 cup of coriander leaves (dhaniya)
- 3-4 green chilies or as required (hari mirch)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 t/s sugar
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder
- black salt as required
- 1 cup pitted dates (khajoor)
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp (imli)
- ½ t/s kashmiri chili powder
- ½ cup jaggery powder (i used organic)
- ½ t/s fennel powder (saunf)
- 1 t/s roasted cumin powder (jeera)
- ¼ th t/s garam masala powder
- ¼ th t/s black salt (kala namak)
- 2 cups water
- salt as required
- 3 medium sized potatoes boiled and peeled potatoes
- 18 puffed puris
- 1 cup sweet (meetha) chutney used for chat
- ½ cup spicy (teekha) chutney
- 2 cup chilled yogurt
- 1 t/s sugar
- 1 cup nylon sev
- 2 t/s red chili powder (I used kashmiri chili powder)
- 2 t/s roasted cumin powder
- 1 t/s coriander seed powder
- chat masala as required
- 1 lime juice (optional)
- ½ raw mango chopped finely
- some chopped coriander leaves
- black salt as required
- Grind everything into a blender with water until smooth paste is formed. Place it aside.
- Boil tamarind or dates in water for 3-4 mins. Allow to cool and remove if any seed.
- Grind them with a cup of water until smooth.
- Take a pan and add the puree.
- Add ½ cup water and mix nicely.
- Also add jaggery powder, spice powder and salt.
- Mix and simmer for 4-5 mins, allow to thicken.
- Switch off the gas and allow to cool.
- Firstly boil the potatoes until tender and cooked. Peel and chop them finely. Mix some chat masala and black salt into it and place aside.
- Mix yogurt with little chat masala,sugar, black salt and coriander powder. Beat the yogurt nicely and allow to chill for an hour before serving.
- Keep the sweet chutney, spicy chutney, spices and herbs ready.
- Take puffed pooris and place them on the serving dish. Now make a small hole into the puris to make space for the filling. I cracked a hole in the pooris through the back of a spoon.
- Now stuff each poori with spoonful of potatoes.
- Top the stuffing with spicy and sweet chutney as your preference.
- Add spoonful of chilled yogurt until it almost fills the puri.
- Sprinkle chat masala, roasted cumin powder, black salt and some raw mangoes.
- Time to sprinkle some nylon sev and squeeze some lime juice over them.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves and red chili powder.
- Serve the dahi batata puri immediately and eat them before it turns soggy.
2. You could add some amchur powder instead of lime juice.
3. If you wish you could make the two chutney home or make them home.
4. Serve the dahi batata puri immediately else it would turn soggy and soft.