Presenting Dates Chutney for chat Dates Chutney made with tamarind pulp, dates, jaggery and infused with some spices and lemon juice. Dates Chutney great for health also can be clubbed with chaats, patties, samosas, pani pooris etc. I love Dates Chutney when served with ragda patties. Dates in India is known as khajoor and imli known as tamarind hence khajoor imli chutney.
It’s nice chilled here in Pune yet. So feel like eating warm food. I had made ragda patties clubbed with dates chutney, sweet chutney, pomegranate raita and sev. Dates are good option as you can add less sugar instead so less calories. In short Dates Chutney is sugar free, low fat and great for health. If kept in fridge Dates Chutney will last for a week.
Don’t have much to share today except Dates Chutney! one of my boring weekends today (:
- I have used more dates so used less jaggery. if you like it more sweet use more jaggery.
- Also if you like it more hot add more red chilies for extra spice.
- If you like it more tangier add more tamarind Or lemon juice.
Enjoy Dates Chutney!
Dates Chutney Recipe details below:
- Ingredients for Dates Chutney:
- 1 cup pitted dates
- ½ cup pitted tamarind ( I used readymade imli pulp)
- ½ cup jaggery powder
- 2 fresh red chilies Or dried red chilies
- 1 tbsp chat masala
- 1 tbsp black salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp roasted cumin powder
- ½ lime juice (optional)
- I have used readymade tamarind pulp. But you could soak tamarind and dates separately in warm water. Remove their seeds chop red chilies grind all into a processor until they blend well.
- Take a heavy bottomed sauce pan add both tamarind and dates pulp. Also add jaggery granules + water. Cook for 10 mins keep stirring. Once the mixture reduces and gets thicker switch off the gas.
- Strain the mixture with a mesh strainer Or siever. Discard the leftover pulp. Add chat masala, black salt, roasted cumin powder and lemon juice if using. Alter any spices if required add salt for seasoning. Serve Dates Chutney chilled Or at room temperature with chat Or patties.