Dry Shrimp Curry with Mango Recipe another classic dish from the Goan Cuisine. When I am lazy or not in a mood to go out I tend to make Dry Shrimp Curry or dry bombil curry also adding mango is optional. We are fish lovers be it fresh or dry fish doesn’t matter. I make a lot of dry fish in many ways at home some are Goan some are my own ways of making them.
This Dry Shrimp Curry is similar to sorak curry only added some raw mangoes and potatoes to the curry. We also add some veggies like drumsticks, okra, potatoes, beans etc in our fish and veg curries or you could make without them.
Dry Shrimp Curry tastes great with rice, fish fry, pao and bread. You could use dry or fresh small prawns, shrimp or any fish for this curry. Very soon I would update xacuti curry, caldin and vindaloo on my blog. Till then you could check veg caldin, mushroom vindaloo, sorak curry and goan egg curry on my blog.
It’s important to wash the dry shrimp before using for the curry. Just put them in a big vessel with lukewarm water and salt for 10 mins. Now remove them gently with your palm and place them on a mesh strainer and wash under the tap. It’s ready to be used now. If you get a clean variety then just wash once or you could follow the process I just described.
Dry Shrimp Curry with Mango Recipe cart below:
- ½ of fresh coconut grated
- 5-6 kashmiri chilies
- 1.5 t/s coriander seed
- 1 t/s cumin seed
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 /2 medium sized onion
- 1 t/s turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 150 gm of dry shrimp washed and sieved with mesh strainer
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ onion chopped finely
- 2 cups water
- 2-3 green chilies slit lenghtwise
- 1 potato chopped, peeled and immeresed in salt water for 5 mins
- salt as per taste
- 1 raw mango with seed chopped into big sizes
- few chopped coriander leaves
- Combine all the ingredients for the paste into a grinder with little water. Grind into a coarse paste later add water and grind until smooth mixture is formed.
- Take a vessel add oil once hot add chopped onion. Saute until onion changes color.
- Add the paste and saute for 2-3 mins on low flame.
- Now add dry shrimps, slit green chilies, chopped potatoes, raw mangoes and water. You could cover the vessel half way on low heat.
- Allow to simmer until potatoes are cooked.
- Lastly add salt and coriander leaves. Cook for 3-4 mins without lid.
- Serve the Dry Shrimp Curry with Mango Recipe with rice or pao and fry fish.
2. The consistency of the curry is nor too thick nor too thin. You could add water accordingly.
3. If you love spice then add more of dry red chilies while grinding.