Easy Vegetable Curry Recipe with step by step instructions. This recipe comes from Mumbai East Indian community and was shared by my sister in law. You could make this same curry with veggies or fish like golden anchovies, prawns etc.
We make this curry quite often at home sometimes with loads of veggies and sometimes with fish. It tastes equally great with or without fish. This vegetable curry goes with rice, chapati or pao.
The main ingredient for this curry is East Indian Bottle Masala which gives the taste, flavor and color to the curry. Later thick paste is made with coconut, spices and some more ingredients.
If you are unable to find bottle masala then just replace with 1 tbsp red chili powder, 1/4th tsp turmeric powder and 1 tsp of garam masala powder.
You get bottle masala easy at Mumbai or anyone who makes home and sell. I grab mine from my sis-in-law but would soon post the recipe as it’s traditional and has some secrets. The bottle masala enhances flavor of curries, veggies and even fries.
When you are in a hurry then this curry is apt for you. As it takes less time and goes well with rice or bread. Just have a side dish like salad, papad or pickle and your meal is ready.
Let’s make step by step Easy vegetable curry:
1. Grind all the ingredients together to form a smooth paste. Add little water if required. Keep it aside.
3. Take a pan add oil once hot saute onion until it changes color.
4. Now add curry leaves.
5. Time to add tomatoes stir for sometime.
6. Cook the tomatoes for 2-3 mins.
7. Now add the grounded paste. Fry for 2-3 mins.
8. Add water as consistency required.
9. Put all the chopped veggies.
10. Add bottle masala and some salt. Simmer for 20 mins. Keep covered halfway once potatoes are cooked your curry is ready. Just taste add salt if required.
11. Serve the vegetable curry with hot rice or roti. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Easy Vegetable Curry below:
- 1 cup fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
- 1 small ball of tamarind without seed or 1 tbsp tamarind pulp (imli)
- 1 tbsp cumin seed (jeera)
- 1 inch ginger chopped (adrak)
- 4-5 garlic chopped (lehsun)
- ¼th cup pf coriander leaves rinsed and chopped (dhaniya)
- 1-2 green chilies chopped (hari mirch)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium sized potato peeled and chopped (aloo)
- 3-4 mushrooms chopped
- 10-12 french bean chopped
- ½ cup green peas (matar)
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely (pyaz)
- 2 small tomatoes chopped finely (tamatar)
- few curry leaves (optional)
- 1.5 tbsp east indian bottle masala
- salt as per taste
- water as consistency required
- Grind all the ingredients together to form a smooth paste. Add little water if required. Keep it aside.
- Chop all the veggies like mushroom, potatoes and french beans. Immerse them in water with little salt. Place aside.
- Take a pan add oil once hot saute onion until it changes color.
- Now add curry leaves.
- Time to add tomatoes stir for sometime.
- Cook for 2-3 mins.
- Now add the grounded paste. Fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add water as consistency required.
- Put all the chopped veggies.
- Add bottle masala and some salt. Simmer for 20 mins. Keep covered halfway once potatoes are cooked your curry is ready. Just taste add salt if required.
- Serve the vegetable curry with hot rice or roti. Garnish with coriander leaves.
2. Also if you cannot find fresh coconut use desiccated coconut powder.
3. Add any veggies of your choice.