Spicy hot Goan Piri Piri Sauce recipe! Peri peri Or piri piri Or pili pili is also known as African Bird Eye. Pilli Pilli means pepper pepper. Goan Piri Piri Sauce is an African-Portuguese dish. Piri Piri chilies was brought to Goa by portuguese. Infact I got to see the Piri Piri plant at Sahakari Spice garden-Goa. This sauce are used to make a lot of Carribean sauces and also used in African, Portuguese, Goan cuisine. It’s also rich in vitamin A and C and was also used as medicine in food in ancient days. The person who has acquired the taste of these hot chilies becomes tempted to eat them.
Lot of recipes are made from Piri Piri Sauce like Chicken Piri Piri is a famous dish. I am sure you must have heard about Nandos Piri Piri joint they are famous in making Piri Piri Sauce. I have never visited them just glanced from out because I know how to make Piri Piri Sauce 😉
This chilli may be small but consists some tremendous heat also considered one of the spiciest chilies in the world. The piri piri chili just grows about 8 to 10 cm and is quite tiny but very spicy. So spicy it can burn your mouth if you have a lot of them. The color is red Or purple when its matured. Piri Piri chilies are the secret and key ingredient to many sauces used for marination and Goan Peri Peri Sauce is one of them 😉
I also tried goan mushroom upkari yesterday which my family loved. So I will soon post that recipe too. Infact today I am planning to use Piri Piri Sauce to marinate my chicken breast. The best part of Goan Piri Piri Sauce is you can store them in fridge and use for 1 month Or more. You can use this Piri Piri Sauce for marinating paneer, tofu, potatoes, fish etc.
I wonder I knew about this sauce for so long and how come I never thought of sharing this amazing piri piri sauce. Probably I have to sit back and ponder as there are many dishes which I make quite often and never think of updating them on my blog.
Goan Piri Piri sauce recipe card below:
- 20-25 piri piri chilies
- 6 whole kashmiri red chilies
- 2 tbsp red kashmiri chili powder
- 20- 25 black pepper
- 10 cloves
- 1.5 tbsp coriander seed
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 1 mace (javitri)
- 4 green cardamom
- ½ onion (optional)
- 1 tbsp cumin seed (optional)
- ½ cup coriander leaves (optional)
- 5 to 6 basil leaves (optional)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1.5 inch ginger
- ½ cup coconut vinegar or any other vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil r vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sea salt or as required
- Firstly keep all the above ingredients handy. Soak both piri piri chilies and kashmiri red chilies for 30 mins. Some also soak the chilies overnight however I didn't had hat much time on hand. Chop the tail and head of both the chilies.
- Grind all the ingredients except oil into a processor until smooth paste is formed. Transfer the Sauce into your container or bottle. Pour oil and store into a fridge.Use the Piri Piri Sauce for marinating chicken, meat, veggies, fish or paneer.