Can you guess which vegetable this could be ? Potatoes hmmmm pumpkin hmmmm it’s none of these any guesses what’s the key ingredient it’s Raw Papaya Vegetable Yeah I will share how to make Raw Papaya Vegetable in Indian spices and grated fresh coconut. Raw Papaya Vegetable is healthy, delicious and vegan recipe.
Bold and Spicy is the taste of raw papaya. Green papayas, those that are not ripe, are eaten in some countries in salads, curries and soups but they should be boiled before eating them. Young leaves and stems are also cooked as vegetable.
Green Papaya is also used in Thai Cuisine. The papaya is a source of iron and calcium a good source of vitamin A, B and Riboflavin and an excellent source of vitamin C. It is speculated that papayas are not supposed to be eaten by pregnant women which may lead to miscarriage. So people who are not pregnant please start eating papayas green Or ripen. Please click here on wikipedia.org for more information.
I love the grated raw papaya chutney which is served with hot samosas and wadas in some shops at Mumbai. Next time I will surely make this chutney with hot hot samosas yummy my mouth is watering already. The best part is my hubby loved Raw Papaya Vegetable.
Had purchased these from my regular vegetable vendor. I wanted to make them in a different style and preparation. So made these with some Indian spices infused in grated fresh coconut. Raw Papaya Vegetable has a hint of south Indian + goan preparation and tastes great with steamed rice.
Raw Papaya recipe and the printable version below:
- 250 gms Raw Papaya
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 dried red chilies
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tbsp urad dal (split gram)
- 1 tbsp chana dal (bengal gram)
- 1 tbsp mustard seed
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 15 to 16 curry leaves
- a pinch of asofoetida (hing)
- 15 to 16 peanuts (pestle gently with a mortar)
- ½ fresh coconut grated + 3 tbsp hot water
- salt as per taste
- Firstly peel the tender papaya and chop them into small cubes. Take coconut oil in a vessel and place on high heat. Once oil is hot reduce the flame.
- Now add all ingredients from 3 to 12. Saute them for a minute once they nicely crackle add the chopped papaya.
- Simmer for another 10 to 15 mins with a covered lid. Place some water over the lid. Keep stirring in between.
- Once the papaya is almost cooked add the grated coconut + hot water. Combine all nicely cook for another 4 to 5 mins uncovered. Lastly add salt and check seasoning. Add more green chilies if more spice required.
- Serve hot with roti Or rice.