Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani Recipe with step by step pictures. An authentic hyderabadi biryani recipe from my mom with step by step photos. My moms friend had taught her to make this awesome dish. Since my childhood I have been eating this and I still love to binge on it. I had asked my mom to make this lovely recipe on her birthday. So that I can share this big secret and wonderful recipe with all of you! 🙂
What matters is the aroma, taste and how the biryani tastes and is presented. This Biryani is quite rich and has an awesome taste. I just love the boiled potatoes mixed with the spices of biryani. I avoid eating rice however if it is biryani I never resist myself from eating.
Making biryani is a cumbersome task. As it requires a lot of effort and time to make a lovely Biryani. But you know what once you taste the biryani all your efforts will be worth it!. Biryani blends well with a dahi raita Or salad. There is no need of making any thing more. Biryani itself is divine and filling.
You can also make a mushrooms, paneer or any vegetable biryani with the same instructions. Just replace meat or chicken with veggies. Your vegetable Biryani will be ready. Vegans can add tofu instead of paneer.
Lemme take you to the recipe of Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani quickly as it is a long process to explain! But not that long as you think 🙂
Learn how to make step by step Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani Recipe:
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, yogurt, ginger-garlic paste for about 1 hour. Keep it aside. in the meanwhile we will make rice.
2. First take a big wok or vessel. Add water with few spices ( 1 bayleaf, 2 inch Cinnamon stick, 3 green Cardamom, 1 Mace, 4 Cloves, 4 to 5 Pepper corn). Boil the water with all these garam masala. Take water as required to make the basmati rice.
3. Please note you just have to par boil the rice (half cook). Don’t cook the rice completely. Remove from fire once the rice is half cooked. Strain the water and keep the rice aside.
4. For Garnishing: Take some oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion till dark brown and crispy. Chop coriander leaves and keep it aside.
5. Grind Mint Leaves, Green Chilies and Coriander leaves in the processor. Add little water if required. Keep this green paste aside.
6. Please keep the gas flame on low mode. Now take a big wok or vessel. Add ghee to it.
7. Saute 3 Bay leaves, shahi jeera, rest of cloves, pepper corn, cinnamon and green cardamom.
8. After about 2 mins add chopped Onion to it. Fry them until they are dark brown in color but on low flame.
9. Now add ginger garlic paste to it. Stir for some time.
10. Add the green paste as well. Stir for a minute more. Now add biryani garam masala, coriander seed powder, turmeric, red chili powder. Combine all of them well. It is time to add tomatoes and few coriander leaves. Saute tomatoes for 1 more minute.
11. Add yogurt and combine all of them well. Let it cook for a minute.
12. Put potatoes to them. Let it again cook for a minute more.
13. Finally add marinated chicken along with all yogurt. Let it cook for about 5 mins. Please don’t boil the chicken completely. Just half cook the chicken. Switch off the gas.
14. Now we will arrange layers for the biryani. Take another big vessel. Now add half of the above chicken gravy to it.
15. Gently spread half of the par boiled rice to it. Sprinkle some saffron mixed with warm milk Or if using food color to the rice along with some ghee on it.
16. Now again spread the rest of chicken gray on the rice.
17. Finally spread the rest of par boiled rice on it. Again top the rice with ghee and rest of saffron mixed with warm milk or food color.
18. Place it on low heat. Keep a large heavy bottomed tava or pan on the gas. Now place the stacked layers of biryani vessel on the heavy bottomed pan . Now cover with a lid. Also you could cover with dough covering the edges of the vessel. But We have chosen to cover with a lid and than placing a grinding stone on it. If you don’t have a grinding stone you could place any heavy object which is fire proof on the lid. This process is important to give dum (pressure) to the biryani. Alternatively you could seal the vessel and lid with dough over all the edges and cook on slow heat.
19. Roughly about 20 -25 mins your Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is ready. Switch off the gas and keep it on low mode for the entire process of making Biryani. Serve hot with salad or raita.
20. Garnish your Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani with fried onion and coriander leaves and serve hot.
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani recipe card below:
- 500 gms basmati rice
- 500 gms onion chopped
- 250 gms tomatoes chopped
- 200 gms potatoes chopped
- 250 gms yogurt
- 4 tejpata leaves (bay leaf)
- 7 to 8 cloves
- 6 to 7 sweet spice
- 4 to 5 green cardamom
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 mace (javitri)
- 12 to 14 pepper corn (kalimiri)
- 1 tbsp shahi jeera
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tbsp shaan biryani masala
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tbsp coriander seed powder
- 1 cup of mint leaves
- 1 cup of coriander leaves
- 3 green chilies
- 1 t/s turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp ghee or oil
- 2 strands of saffron mixed with warm milk or 1 tbsp food color
- salt as per taste
- 500 gms chicken
- 4 tbsp yogurt
- 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- salt as per taste
- 250 gm basmati Rice
- 2 green cardamom
- 3-4 cloves
- 5-6 peppercorn
- 1 bayleaf
- 1-2 mace blades
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1000 ltr of water or as required
- 1 cup of fried onion julienne
- some chopped coriander leaves
- Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, yogurt, ginger-garlic paste for about 1 hour. Keep it aside. in the meanwhile we will make rice.
- First take a big wok or vessel. Add water with few spices bayleaf, 2 inch Cinnamon stick, 3 green Cardamom, 1 Mace, 4 Cloves, 4 to 5 Pepper corn). Boil the water with all these garam masala. Take water as required to make the basmati rice.
- Please note you just have to par boil the rice (half cook). Don't cook the rice completely. Remove from fire once the rice is half cooked.
- Strain the water and keep the rice aside.
- For Garnishing: Take some oil in a pan and fry the chopped onion till dark brown and crispy. Chop coriander leaves and keep it aside.
- Grind Mint Leaves, chilies and coriander leaves in the processor.
- Add water if required. Keep this green paste aside.
- Please keep the gas flame on low mode. Now take a big wok or vessel.
- Add ghee to it.
- Saute 3 Bay leaves, shahi jeera, rest of cloves, pepper corn, cinnamon and green cardamom.
- After about 2 mins add chopped Onion to it. Fry them until they are dark brown in color but on low flame.
- Now add ginger garlic paste to it. Stir for some time.
- Add the green paste as well. Stir for a minute more. Now add shaan biryani garam masala, coriander seed powder, turmeric, red chili powder. Combine all of them well. It is time to add tomatoes and few coriander leaves.
- Saute tomatoes for 1 more minute.
- Add yogurt and combine all of them well. Let it cook for a minute.
- Put potatoes to them. Let it again cook for a minute more.
- Finally add marinated chicken along with all yogurt. Let it cook for about 5 mins. Please don't boil the chicken completely. Just half cook the chicken. Switch off the gas.
- Now we will arrange layers for the biryani. Take another big vessel.
- Now add half of the above chicken gravy to it.
- Gently spread half of the par boiled rice to it. Sprinkle some saffron mixed with warm milk Or if using food color to the rice along with some ghee on it.
- Now again spread the rest of chicken gray on the rice.
- Finally spread the rest of par boiled rice on it. Again top the rice with ghee and rest of saffron mixed with warm milk or food color.
- Place it on low heat. Keep a large heavy bottomed tava or pan on the gas. Now place the stacked layers of biryani vessel on the heavy bottomed pan .
- Now cover with a lid. Also you could cover with dough covering the edges of the vessel. But We have chosen to cover with a lid and than placing a grinding stone on it. If you don't have a grinding stone you could place any heavy object which is fire proof on the lid. This process is important to give dum (pressure) to the biryani.
- Roughly about 20 -25 mins your Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is ready.
- Switch off the gas and keep it on low mode for the entire process of making Biryani. Serve hot with salad or raita.
- Garnish your Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani with fried onion and coriander leaves.
2. You could add roasted cashews for garnishing or you can add them in the gravy as well.
3. If you don't wish to add food color than you can use turmeric or use saffron mixed in milk to sprinkle them on the rice.
4. Don't cook in haste. Follow the entire process slowly and steadily because its worth it.
My girlfriend tried this and helped her in making this for a potluck party just awesome biryani great job thanks for sharing this regards from Canada.
Firstly a big thankyou for trying so many recipes 🙂 and glad your folks liked this biryani recipe it’s my mother’s recipe. You are always welcome 🙂
Loved this biryani it was really very tasty every bit was truly great thankyou to your mom for sharing this recipe
Thankyou so much Catharine for your kind and positive words 🙂 and you are always welcome.
My mom loved this biryani and is just like a restaurant style biryani had made on her birthday. thanks so much she loved it so the guests would try more recipes from your blog could u post murg mussalllam recipes pls.
Quite pleased to know this zaida thankyou so much for your kind words and glad your mom liked this biryani as she must be a chef hrself. I have taken yourr request for murgh mussallam recipe on our file thanks.
I am a silent follower keep trying recipes but this dish is outstanding had made for a potluck party and was appreciated thanks for your blog and great recipes. Keep up the good work and god bless u.
Now that you stated you are no more a silent follower 😉 thankyou so much glad your guests liked the biryani recipe. God bless you too.
My family loves this biryani many thanks for sharing this pls share if possible chicken pulao in cooker recipe.
thankyou sweetie glad your family liked them. Have taken your request for chicken pulao recipe on our file.
what an amazing biryani loved every bit of it my guests and my family liked the biryani a lot thankyou so much for sharing this it’s just perfect 🙂
Thankyou so much Sweety for your kidn and positive words 🙂 glad you and your folks loved the chicken biryani.
Rasiya Rose says
Very, Surely i will try this
Surely try Rasiya and let us know how it was?
Very well explained in detail. Thanks for sharing this article. I read the steps at this site as well but you have explained it in very great manner.
I shall prepare it this weekend 😉
Thankyou Sultan for your honest words 🙂 surely try and let me know how it was?
Veg Biryani says
“Wow, great blog article.Really thank you!
welcome kursheed 🙂
Ur recipe is awesome yaar… U just rock..
I try all ur recipes and they all come out well…
U describe it so well that anyone can easily cook it…
Thanks fr sharing such great recipes…
Prachee you made my day with your comments. Thankyou so much for trying the chicken biryani pleased to know you loved them 🙂 you are always welcome.
An awesome recipe…tried it…came out very well…it was a hit in my family….thanks for the recipe Maria .. 🙂
welcome I am pleased to know you and your family loved the chicken biryani recipe 🙂 thanks for trying it and also thankyou for the 5 star rating.
Mohana Roy says
Hello Maria thnx for sharing your recipe…Just have a question is it necessary to add the green paste you have mentioned above?
Mohana that’s important for the Biryani for the authentic flavor and taste of hyderabadi biryani. You could skip adding potatoes that’s optional.
Estrelina Dias says
Your all recipes are wonderful I do not know what is sweet spice. I will try your Biryani.
sure Estrelina do try and lemme know how was it?? thanks
If you ask me what I like most then I will gladly say, I like all of your website. Two of my most favorite are Afghani Recipe site and second one is yours. Thanks to that talented cook who are working behind the page to post such information.
Thankyou so much I am pleased to know this 🙂
Hi Maria, thank you for this recipe. It’s one of the best Biryani recipes out there and very easy to follow. I tried my hand at it and it turned out delicious. My husband enjoyed the Biryani. Will be making it for some friends too.
Thankyou Jolene for trying the chicken biryani and for your kind words. I am pleased to know your hubby enjoyed it 🙂 surely make again and you are welcome 🙂
mukesh kumar says
Hiii mariya, i m an engineering student and i realy like chicken biryani. I cooked it as ur recipe. Its yummy. Thanx a lot…
welcome Mukesh 🙂 and thankyou.
plasterer bristol says
wow! great recipe. one of my favorites Going to give this a go. Thanks for sharing this.
Surely Simon and thankyou 🙂
Hi Maria Thank you for sharing the wonderful recipe.
One question….What can I substitute curd/yogurt for marination as but hubby is allergic to it?
Poorni you could soak 1 cup cashews in water overnight or in hot water for an hour. Grind to a fine paste adding little water until smooth. Use this nut paste instead of yogurt. Hope this helps you 🙂 lemme know how was the biryani??
Thank you Maria ☺
welcome Huda 🙂
neeta sharma says
Thank you so much for sharing the in detail recipe
Neeta you are welcome 🙂
Thanks a ton for the recipe. The biryani turned out amazing! I made it for my parent’s wedding anniversary and we felt like we had ordered the biryani from some hotel 🙂
Eric I am pleased to know this and also very happy. I am glad your chicken biryani turned out amazing and hotel type would convey to my mom as it’s her recipe 🙂
When I start speaking about the dish Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani most of the non-vegetarians mouth starts watering ,When they look at the recipe they like to cook ,while cooking they will dreamt how to eat in enjoyable and rememberable manner, with that wonderful fragrance of the dish,moment the people will land up in a place which they feel as it is a heaven .
Antara Chowdhury says
Today is my hubby’s birthday…. n am gonna make ur Chicken Dum Biryani today….ur images will help me a lot in preparing it…hope it tastes well n properly cooked….thanks a lot dear…hope to c u soon…tkcr…
All the best Antara 🙂 lemme know how was it???? take care and you are welcome.
Mehul Teli says
Excellent recipe Maria. I found a very similar recipe, and the images that you have shown here are really helpful to make this biryani. Thanks a lot
You are welcome Mehul 🙂 thankyou.
What is Sweet Spice? Where can I get it? Please email me and let me know.
Pallavi it’s also called as all spice known as chini kebab you should get them in spice shops. Hope this helps you.
Such a wonderful post on making this delicious chicken biryani recipe , I really like the way you presented the procedures and by adding images in to it, that’s nice. Good Job. 🙂 were looking forward for more delicious recipe procedures from you. Just keep on posting. Thanks . 🙂 Cheers !
Thankyou Tommy 🙂
Thankyou Faye 🙂 I am glad you liked them.
Can you send us a recipy.
Alany please subscribe on this link http://mad.ly/signups/78386/join to get weekly recipe updates for free straight to your mail box. Hope this helps you.
Maria which step do you use the Shaan biryani masala, can it be substituted by some other brand or omitted?
Zita while you add tomatoes you add the biryani garam masala have mentioned in the recipe instruction. You could use everest brand or any brand of biryani garam masala or masala used for biryani. Hope this helps you.
awesum luking biryani n loved d cliks.
Thanks Maha 🙂
Bhavani thayagaraj says
Hi Maria. I tried your recipe yesterday. It was osum as well as it is the simplier way of doing tasty biryani. My husband liked the aroma as well as the taste. This was the first time I did hyderbadi biryani to impress him. Thanks for you help . I just have to share that biryani was not cooked in 20min. I again kept it for 20 more min by covering the lid with dough. This was the only change I did in it……. Thanks a lot for ur recipe
Thanks Bhavani for sharing your views which most of them don’t do…..Great hope your hubby was impressed nice to know the modification take care… have fun and keep cooking…. love, Maria
Food Frenzy says
Congratulations! We wanted to inform you that this post has been selected as a Featured Archive Post on our site for the first two weeks of April 2013.
Thanks 🙂 nice to know that!
I like to try your recipe because it looks really good; I have one question for you, in your recipe what do you mean by “Sweet Spice” is it star anais? please let me know ; I need to try this.
Nayana sweet spice is also known as sweet spice its similar to black pepper but it’s got a small thorn like pricking out. Hope this helps you !
Savio Dsouza says
Will mutton work the same way as above… I guess it requires an overnight Marination right..
Savio you could marinate mutton overnight Or for 2hrs atleast.
amreen naz says
too goooooooooooooooood.and so helpful for unknown people we love it
You are welcome Amreen 🙂
The recipes you have posted looks delish, i cant wait to try em on:)
Thanks a ton Shilpa for your lovely email lemme know how they turned out take care god bless!
Yes Better as I have to be on my feet, since festive season is around the corner, felt nice that u remember, wish I could call you, please visit calcutta and it would be my pleasure to assist you and treat you at my house with your recipes for sure, Oh? Zafrani Biryani, already mouth is watering, plz share the recipe but with photos are a must…………..
Thanks Sunita surely when I come to Calcutta will see you 🙂 ………… it turned out damn tasty will post the next time I make them. Take care 🙂
Yesterday my hubby was in the mood to have home made biryani and I was like GULP?, then i took your recipe and got all the ingredients in hand and along with tension and patience, made, conquered and most of all, it was loved by everybody in the house and specially my hubby, was very happy, I replaced chicken with egg masala, omitted tomatoes and the rest was the same. I wanted that distant flavour of Biryani,, which I got and thanks to you and I made Dry Chicken Curry and salad. has my lunch at 03 in the afternoon relishing this recipe.
Thanks so much Maria
Great Sunita you should have called me for lunch I don’t mind waiting till 3.00 p.m. 😉 …. today I felt like making Veg Zaffrani Biryani for my hubby. I haven’t taken any pics as I don’t have time right now will check how’s the taste and will post it later. You take care hope your knees are fine now.
does thiis biryani will really works?
Samir it works for that you gotto try home! Also biryani is an art it takes sometime to master an art to make Biryani. So try making in lesser quantities. All the best!
hey..very happy 2day..ATLAST BIRYANI BAN HI GAI..
Congrats Reefa that’s great wish u a Happy Birthday! God bless u 🙂
thnx..for ur advise..i will cook it n let u know dat how it has come….
Reefa I will wait for your reply 🙂
thanks 4 ur wishes….planning 2 make it on my birthday dis friday….hope achcha banein…….
Many Happy Returns of the Day in advance friday is 16th March….. Lemme give you some small and handy tips which are of great use. Firstly collect all ingredients you need for biryani. Cut onion a night before and keep in the fridge covered else your fridge will smell of onion. This will reduce your effort the next day. Follow the instructions as given in the post. Don’t panic calm down and check the potatoes if they are cooked your chicken also must have cooked. If spices are less add more if required. You will surely do well this time….. Good Luck.
no its ok…no need 2 b sry….actly d day i asqd u…. dat day itself i was in the procedure of cooking biryani..but unfortunately i was not knowing the exact tym for cooking so i kept only for 1 hour..n guess what?my 4kg biryani got spoilt bcoz of semi cooking..but it was my mistake..u know lack of knowledge..!!par kya kar sakte hai beet gai so baat gai..nxt tym b4 cukng i wil asq u d exact tym ….kya pataa agli baar quantity aur badh jaein..
I am feeling bad about it (: ……………. no worries Reefa we all learn by our mistake. I am sure you will be a great cook with great knowledge. You will master the art soon :)……..take care and best of luck 😉
hey maria,i badly need ur help i made biryani wid 1 n hlf kg chicken..but it did not got done in 30 mins so i should extend the tym with the quantity and also tell how much tym it requires for biryani wid 1 n hlf kg chicken n 1 n hlf kg rice..plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help……………:(
Firstly I am sorry for the delay in reply. I was out this weekend so couldn’t help you out. If the chicken is not cooked please cook until it’s tender and cooked. For the quantity just double up as mentioned in the ingredients. For 1.5 kg chicken and rice it should take about 2 and half to 3 hours for overall biryani cooking from start to end. Hope this helps you though it’s too late for you.
what a fantastic recipe..luvd it..
thanks Reefa 🙂
Prasant Kumar says
Hi… Can we use pressure cooker instead of vessel??????
Hi Prashant would not recommend you to use a cooker as the layers of biryani would get all mixed up and might get soggy!
Hyderabadi chicken biryani looks awesome, can’t wait to binge on it….
Thanks Merlyn do try them home and eat as much as you wanna eat 😉
gr8 recipes around and i would like to know that after the second layering you have suggested to put offf the gas but not told suggested when to on the gas again. if u kindly let me know then i want to make this
thanks in advance
Thanks Sarita…..I will rectufy that thanks for pointing out 🙂
Brian@cooking with friends says
The Hyderabad biryani is my favorite food.The flavor of the recipe and taste is nice one.It is available through out India.The above preparation procedure is really great to prepare it in home.
Biryani is my favorite too :)…. Thanks a ton..Keep having Biryani!
SANA SHAIKH says
liked the way u explained it,and after trying it it was ossum !!!!!
Thanks for stopping by and I am glad the biryani turned out to be awesome 🙂
Your recipes are just mouth watering. I also wanted to know if we had to follow the same method for mutton biryani. Please guide me as my husband loves mutton biryani more than the chicken.
Firstly thanks for stopping by and your lovely views. Yeah you could follow the same method for Mutton too. Let me know how were they?
Yesterday i bought some crabs and made the Mummy’s special crab curry which turned out yummy thanks a ton for the recipes keep posting some more 🙂
Great to know the crab curry came out well you are always welcome Janet. Yeah Janet I will keep posting yummy recipes all the time as I am mad about cooking :)….Thanks again.
Maria, thank you for sharing this recipe, I made it the other day and it was the best biryani I’ve ever had. I will definitely be making this again!
You are welcome I checked the post of Chicken Biryani on your blog. Your blog is also nice and thanks for your lovely views. Keep making this Chicken Biryani its my moms secret and my favorite Biryani. Also I am glad you loved it.
Lynn Clements says
Thank you! I have been trying to make this for my husband. I will try your method for biryani.
Surely make this biryani and share your reviews.