Easy Goan Kala Vatana Usal!
Tried out a goan version of Kala Vatana Usal ate with Rice Flour Pooris (tandalachya wade). Kala Vatana usal is easy, instant, yummy and healthy. Actually there are lot of styles to make usal. Now lemme explain to all of them who do not know what is kala vatana? kala vatana are black eyed peas which are dark brown / blackish in color and usal means semi gravy Or curry made with sprouts/ beans/ grams in India.
Usal is a dish quite famous in India usually eaten with pav Or wade. I have actually modified the dish which I am very good at. I have used sprouted black eyed peas and sprouted green mung bean for my usal. Sprouted gram always gives an extra boost factor to your health. Please find the recipe of how to make sprouts at home below.
I am happy as I am going for short trip to Goa soon for official reason. So all work but the fact I am going there just kind of makes me happy. I love Goa always gone with friends there first time going alone.
Since last week I am getting more ambitious donno why? may be it’s in my genes since I was a child. I really want to do something big and I know I will crack it soon. Anyways as of now lets make a note of this recipe.
Total Time: 2 days for soaking and sprouting the mung bean and black eyed peas + 20 mins pressure cooking + 20 mins making
- The chilies are there in the grounded paste so there is no need to add chili powder.
- If fresh coconut is available you could use it instead of desiccated coconut.
- You could just use the soaked bean Or peas instead of sprouting them.
- Also potatoes are optional. I have used boiled one as it takes lesser time to cook.
- Now usal is generally in liquid consistency you could add more water if required.
Kala Vatana Usal printable version below:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 boiled potato (optional)
- 1 cup black eyed peas sprouted
- ½ cup green mung bean sprouted
- 125 gms desiccated coconut flakes
- 2 green chilies
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp curry leaf powder
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely
- 1 t/s asofoetida (hing)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ cup water
- few coriander leaves
- salt as per taste
- Firstly how to make sprouts at home? This method is applicable to any gram Or bean for sprouting. Take a cup of black eyed peas and soak them with enough water to cover them overnight. Soak ½ cup of mung bean in a different vessel water just enough to cover them overnight. In the morning throw the water from the black eyed peas and green mung. Place the soaked black eyed peas over the damp cloth. Cover the damp cloth and keep in a humid place for a day. Repeat the same process with mung bean. Sprouting process depends on temperature in summer it sprouts quickly takes longer in cold weather. Once it starts sprouting you can keep one day more for longer sprouts Or use them. Just ensure you keep the cloth damp during entire process of sprouting.
- Now boil black eyed peas and mung bean in pressure cooker with enough water until 3 whistles Or until tender.
- Grind the desiccated coconut, cumin seed and green chilies into a processor until smooth paste is formed.
- Take a wok Or vessel add oil. Once oil is add curry leaf powder, asofoetida, sugar and onion. Saute for a minute.
- Now add the grounded paste, boiled potatoes and give a nice stir. Add little water if the paste starts sticking to the bottom.
- Add the boiled sprouts and simmer for another 7 to 9 mins. I like my usal semi dry but if you wish you could add water as per consistency required. Lastly add salt for seasoning and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with steamed rice, rice flour pooris Or rotis.