Lasooni Palak recipe – made with loads of garlic and made with a secret ingredient! Garlic is known as lasoon Or lehsun in India and spinach is known as palak. I had spinach (palak) at home and didn’t know what to make with it. I called mom and checked with her what are the other recipes I can make with spinach apart from the regular ones so she said lasooni palak. I asked her the recipe she gave me a blind recipe. So I just came up with my own version as didn’t had a foolproof recipe. That too made a vegan version 😉
I made butter naan, lasooni palak and chole curry for dinner today. A complete North Indian meal! I love greens and this recipe is also my favorite. Lasooni Palak is full of iron, fiber, nutritious and will keep you healthy in monsoon.
Generally people tend to be far away from greens. I also have one at my place who is non other than my hubby. But he also liked this dish. So atleast try and make this for non-green eaters. Who knows they might like it??? Club with hot puris, naans, rotis Or rice.
Garlic has great health benefits it helps in lowering down cholesterol and builds immunity. Spinach we all know is great with iron and folic acid. So when these two meet together a healthy food is made.
Actually was confused to add garlic first Or add it as tempering later. I love garlic slightly burnt or browned so I thought of adding them later. Also I have used almond and walnut paste. This gives a nice creamy flavor to the dish.
Let me unveil the secret ingredient it’s mustard oil. One of my food blogger friend had told me to use mustard paste Or oil in greens. So I tried this tip and it tasted amazing. Honestly I am not a big fan of mustard oil so have used only while tempering.
Learn how to make step by step Lasooni Palak Recipe:
1. Take a pan with oil place on medium heat. Once oil is hot saute cumin seed, mustard seed, bayleaf and sugar. I forgot to add earlier added bayleaf later.
2. Once they crackle add green chilies. Saute for 30 secs more.
3. Add spinach puree + tomato puree. Stir for some time simmer for 2 to 3 mins.
4. Now it’s time to add ginger paste, anardana powder, turmeric, fennel seed powder, roasted cumin seed powder and garam masala powder.
5. Allow to cook until it starts bubbling. Now add almond+walnut paste. Keep little reserved for garnishing.
6. Give a nice stir and cook for 2 to 3 mins more. Lastly add salt for seasoning. Switch off the gas.
7. Now take mustard oil and place on fire. Add chopped garlic to it. Saute until they are light brown in color please don’t burn them.
8. Pour the tempering over the cooked spinach. Garnish with rest of almond-walnut paste. Serve lasooni palak hot with roti Or rice. I don’t have a pic for this one.
Lasooni Palak recipe card below:
- 1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp mustard oil for tempering
- 1 bunch of spinach (cleaned, chopped and pureed into grinder with some
- 1 t/s cumin seed (jeera)
- ¼ t/s mustard seed (rai)
- ½ t/s turmeric powder (haldi)
- 2 green chilies finely chopped
- ½ tbsp ginger paste
- 1 t/s garam masala powder
- 1 t/s roasted cumin seed powder
- 1 t/s fennel seed powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium sized tomatoes (chopped and pureed in grinder)
- 8 to 10 almond + 7 to 8 walnut (chopped coarsely and pureed in grinder
- with some water)
- 12-14 garlic cloves chopped finely
- 1 t/s dried pomegranate powder (anardana)
- 1 t/s sugar
- rock salt Or salt as per taste
- Take a pan with oil place on medium heat. Once oil is hot saute cumin seed, mustard seed, bayleaf and sugar. I forgot to add earlier added bayleaf later.
- Once they crackle add green chilies. Saute for 30 secs more.
- Add spinach puree + tomato puree. Stir for some time simmer for 2 to 3 mins.
- Now it's time to add ginger paste, anardana powder, turmeric, fennel seed powder, roasted cumin seed powder and garam masala.
- Allow to cook until it starts bubbling. Now add almond+walnut paste.
- Give a nice stir and cook for 2 to 3 mins more. Lastly add salt for seasoning. Switch off the gas.
- Now take mustard oil and place on fire. Add chopped garlic to it.
- Saute until they are light brown in color please don't burn them.
- Pour the tempering over the cooked spinach. Serve lasooni palak hot with roti Or rice.
2. When you make spinach puree add some salt to this will help it to retain it's green color.
3. If you like more spice add dash of chilies.
4. If you don't like too much garlic add few of them as per your preference but garlic is good for you 🙂
I tried it.. Awasome recipe..
Welcome Rupali 🙂 and thanks for positive feedback.
Spinach…..delicate and tasty and so exotic coz of garlic…:)
Thankyou Pallavi 🙂
Hi, palak and tomato to be pureed after cooking or raw?. Please let me know. I love palak and haven’t got it right till now.
Sheela palak and tomatoes are pureed raw separately. Hope this helps you 🙂
Looks Yummy, and its new for me, will try this soon 🙂
Thanks Surkhab surely try 🙂
healthy and comforting palak
Thanks Veena 🙂