Healthy Bittergourd Chips courtesy my mom and dad. We have been eating Bittergourd chips home since my childhood. Mom used to club fried bittergourd with lentils, rice and veggies. Bittergourd fry has become an integral part at my home now post marriage. I make these atleast once a week. My hubby also loves them.
Mostly people dislike bittergourd as its quite bitter in taste. Trust me make these chips home and your family will love them. Bittergourd is known as Karela in India. Bittergourd Chips is easy, made in no time and can be made at your convenience. The best part is Bittergourd chips are made only with 5 ingredients!
Lemme share some quick benefits of bittergourd.
- Bittergourd helps in digestion and purifies your body.
- It’s also known to cure diseases like malaria, diabetes, cancer, fever, burns etc.
- Bittergourd also helps in building immunity.
- It’s also known to give clear skin and blood purifying properties.
For more info on benefits of bittergourd click here en.wikipedia.org
So now that you know their benefits include bittergourd in your diet. Let’s make a note of the recipe.
Enjoy Bottlegourd Chip and the printable version below:
- 1 cup oil
- 4 fresh bittergourd (250 gms)
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- salt / black salt as per taste
- Wash the bittergourd under running water. Slice them into thin rounds as you see in the above pic.
- Combine all spices stated above except salt. Spread them over the chopped bittergourd. You can either mix with your hand as I did. Alternatively you can toss them in vessel Or polythene bag. Marinate for 10-15 mins.
- Take a deep pan add oil. Place on high heat. Once oil is hot reduce the heat. Place some spiced bittergourd. Ensure you don't cluster them with too many. Fry some at a time. Deep fry until crisp and golden Brown from both sides with a slotted spoon.
- Place them on absorbent napkins. Sprinkle salt for seasoning. Serve hot with lentils and rice.
2.You can add black pepper for a variation. Also if you want them more spicy sprinkle some chili powder once they are fried.
3.Fry them on medium fire else they will burn.
4.If you wish you can shallow fry them.
5.Also you can marinate them and keep in fridge for 2 days. Make them when you wanna fry them as per your convenience.